Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > Multiple - Deception Cream Stout

Old 10-31-2011, 03:16 PM   #521
ArizonaDB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR22 View Post
After much less than 24 hrs it's fermenting like crazy; blow tube is definitely necessary (I made a 1 liter starter).
+1 on the blow off tube. Especially if you use a starter and ferment above 65F.

Brewed mine on Oct 6th and has been in primary ever since. I started crash cooling it this morning in a water bath with ice and ice packs. Hope to have as much yeast fall out of suspension as possible until thursday when I plan to keg it (my first kegged beer!). I can't wait to try this brew off the tap.

Old 11-04-2011, 03:34 PM   #522
MZRIS
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaDB View Post
+1 on the blow off tube. Especially if you use a starter and ferment above 65F.

Brewed mine on Oct 6th and has been in primary ever since. I started crash cooling it this morning in a water bath with ice and ice packs. Hope to have as much yeast fall out of suspension as possible until thursday when I plan to keg it (my first kegged beer!). I can't wait to try this brew off the tap.
oh man is it great! - have just tap'd into my 2nd keg of this and i think this will be a staple around here for a while i plan on starting another one of these this weekend! Our first keg didn't even finish fully carbing and was tap'd out in 4 days If the fan fair for this keeps up with my friends, i will have to start asking for a $1 a pint donation to help with the ingredient costs :P

Old 11-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #523
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 50

I am brewing this bad boy up tonight. I'm doing a 5-gal batch in a 6.5-gal primary, I'm going to be gone all weekend, and I don't have a blow off tube. I'm scared to walk back into my place Sunday night after hearing of all the misfortunes from other people brewing this recipe!

I'll follow up in about 2 months and let you know how it tastes. I'm going to be bottling so I want to make sure it's carbed enough. I hope it's a keeper!

Old 11-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #524
D_Ranged_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37 View Post
I am brewing this bad boy up tonight. I'm doing a 5-gal batch in a 6.5-gal primary, I'm going to be gone all weekend, and I don't have a blow off tube. I'm scared to walk back into my place Sunday night after hearing of all the misfortunes from other people brewing this recipe!

I'll follow up in about 2 months and let you know how it tastes. I'm going to be bottling so I want to make sure it's carbed enough. I hope it's a keeper!
Go to Home Depot, Lowes, or Wally World and get yourself some clear tubing. It will save yourself cleaning time and you from losing a batch. This thing can get violent.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:26 AM   #525
Davida
Recipes 

Trying the extract version of this today. I'm stuck doing a partial boil at ~ 2.5 gallons. Should I adjust the lactose?

Thanks for the tip on the blow-off tube. I usually just use an air-lock but will definitely pick up some tubing today. Beer all over the kitchen floor could bring abrupt halt to my new addiction.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #526
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 41

If you are making a 2.5 gallon batch, then yes, cut the lactose in half. If you are making a 5 gallon batch but only boiling 2.5 gallons, then no... leave the lactose level the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #527
StophJS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. Probably because I fermented on the low side of the temp range. I did end up with krauesen in my airlock and around my lid though.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:16 PM   #528
Davida
Recipes 

Brew day went well except my OG was off the charts at 1070!
Glad I went with the blow-off.
Click image for larger version

Name:	stout alive.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	37790  

Old 11-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #529
StophJS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Does anybody see any harm in bottling this bad boy up at 2 1/2 weeks? I used S-04.

Old 11-09-2011, 01:16 AM   #530
ArizonaDB
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Alright, this brew has been a long time in the coming for me, but I finally just pulled my first pint of this beer from my keg and it is pretty dang good. I changed the name to Socks Off Sweet Stout because I made a few changes to the original recipe and when I was working on this one my infant son was going through a phase where he was constantly pulling is socks off.

I'm new to kegging and still getting a lot of foam/head, so I will have to work on fixing that, but otherwise it's working great. It's still a little undercarbed, but almost there. Here's a pic I took tonight.

I can't wait to share this with my family when they come to visit for Thanksgiving. I highly recommend making this recipe if you want a solid, delicious sweet/cream stout. It looks great and won't scare off the light beer drinkers, if you can get them to at least try it.