Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > Brewing With Molasses

Old 11-02-2011, 04:12 AM   #21
kontreren
Gluten Free Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just as an FYI, I brewed a gluten free molasses base malt extract (aka syrup) and it worked out nicely in the end. Good things come to those who wait. I gave it plenty of time in the process. I took it to a festival in September and it was like a shot of liquor, like a fist going down the throat. Then I took the same batch to a festival in October and it was as smooth as a baby's bottom. That one extra month really made an awesome difference. Don't recall the exact length of time from process to October but I say sample and if it is too strong then wait it out. For me it was well worth the wait.

Member, Forsyth Masonic Lodge #707
Member, Winston Salem WortHawgs Brew Club
Lifetime Member, NRA
Lifetime Supporter, Homebrewtalk.com

http://www.worthawgs.org

http://www.queensboro.com/ref/EBCMMMSCNNN

http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/kontreren

http://www.bellaonline.com/site/Beer
mr_y82 Likes This 
Old 08-29-2014, 03:25 AM   #22
muttly420
Recipes 

I have good molasses, yeast, ferment vesel. What else do i need for home brew?

Old 05-09-2015, 02:36 PM   #23
Stonewild
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Molasses Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttly420 View Post
I have good molasses, yeast, ferment vesel. What else do i need for home brew?
I found these "Old-Time" molasses recipes in book my mother-in-law gave me, then found the book online - http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Old-Ti...s_and_Liqueurs

MOLASSES BEER
One ounce hops, one gallon water. Boil for ten minutes, strain, add one pound molasses, and when lukewarm, add one spoonful yeast. Ferment.
*** I have this beer fermenting now, 2 days. I assume Molasses is 100% fermentables, so Ill need to stop fermentation or back sweeten. I used a whole 16 fl oz bottle = 1.5lb of Golding Farms unsulfered Molasses. and stole some 05 yeast out of a ale batch. I used some old frozen Hersbrucker Hops

Other recipes from 1909 book:

Cheap and Agreeable Table Beer
Take four and one-half gallons of water and boil one half, putting the other into a barrel; add the boiling water to the cold with one quart of molasses and a little yeast. Keep the bung-hole open until fermentation ceases.

HOP BEER
Turn five quarts of water on six ounces of hops; boil three hours. Strain off the liquor; turn on four quarts more of water, and twelve spoonfuls of ginger, and boil the hops three hours longer. Strain and mix it with the other liquor, and stir in two quarts of molasses. Brown, very dry, one-half pound of bread, and put in, rusked bread is best. Pound it fine, and brown it in a pot, like coffee. After cooling to be about luke-warm, add one pint of new yeast that is free from salt. Keep the beer covered, in a temperate situation, till fermentation has ceased, which is known by the settling of the froth; then turn it into a keg or bottles, and keep it in a cool place.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:39 AM   #24
Stonewild
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Molasses Beer followup

After a week, there is still as sweet molasses smell and flavor, though the iron is getting stronger. Hard to get SG because of all the impurities, hovering around 1.04. The Golding Molasses seems to be the way to go, is a First Molasses, long way from Blackstrap. I like molasses so, I call this a success.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:44 PM   #25
mergs
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewild View Post
I found these "Old-Time" molasses recipes in book my mother-in-law gave me, then found the book online - http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Old-Ti...s_and_Liqueurs

MOLASSES BEER
One ounce hops, one gallon water. Boil for ten minutes, strain, add one pound molasses, and when lukewarm, add one spoonful yeast. Ferment.
*** I have this beer fermenting now, 2 days. I assume Molasses is 100% fermentables, so Ill need to stop fermentation or back sweeten. I used a whole 16 fl oz bottle = 1.5lb of Golding Farms unsulfered Molasses. and stole some 05 yeast out of a ale batch. I used some old frozen Hersbrucker Hops

Other recipes from 1909 book:

Cheap and Agreeable Table Beer
Take four and one-half gallons of water and boil one half, putting the other into a barrel; add the boiling water to the cold with one quart of molasses and a little yeast. Keep the bung-hole open until fermentation ceases.

HOP BEER
Turn five quarts of water on six ounces of hops; boil three hours. Strain off the liquor; turn on four quarts more of water, and twelve spoonfuls of ginger, and boil the hops three hours longer. Strain and mix it with the other liquor, and stir in two quarts of molasses. Brown, very dry, one-half pound of bread, and put in, — rusked bread is best. Pound it fine, and brown it in a pot, like coffee. After cooling to be about luke-warm, add one pint of new yeast that is free from salt. Keep the beer covered, in a temperate situation, till fermentation has ceased, which is known by the settling of the froth; then turn it into a keg or bottles, and keep it in a cool place.
This is a great read! Not only is the "olde tyme" language usage a good laugh but the recipes are jaw dropping. Take for example this:

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Page%3...queurs.djvu/41

I cannot believe someone actually made beer from a chicken! All the jokes aside about a "Cock Ale" (and they could be endless) I would think this, a beer made chicken, would be absolutely terrible, but a local brewery here did an oyster stout that I hear is quite nice so maybe a chicken beer would be OK. That said, I won't be parboiling a chicken and racking beer on top of him in secondary anytime soon! LOL

p.s. sorry, we've officially veered off the molasses topic here!!