Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA

Old 02-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #71
sherp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I brewed this for the first time and am wondering what I did wrong. I mashed with 6 gallons, temp was a little low- 149-150, sparged, and boiled to get a volume of about 5 gallons but my OG was only 1.062. any thoughts?

Old 02-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #72
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmmm, Could be a number of things. I mashed at 152 for 60 minutes and the batch sparged for 60. I ended up with 7 gallons, boiled for 90 to get to 5.5 (I was running out of propane and my fire was not producing a vigorous boil at first). When sparged, did you stir the grains for several minutes?

If you hit final gravity you should still end up with a beer around 6%.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:38 PM   #73
sherp
Recipes 

There are several things that I probably didn't do correct, as this was my first time brewing with a grain bill this size. I missed my mash temp for most of the mash but was able to correct to 152 for a good 20-30 minutes. I forgot to add the gypsum to the mash and sparged with probably hotter water than I should have, and didn't really stir the grain before sparging. You said you sparged for 60 minutes? Is this normally what's supposed to be done? Also, I collected WAY too much wort- like 10 gallons and had to boil for like 3 hours! It was a learning experience for me for sure, but at any rate, the beer's fermenting like crazy now...I divided it up and the bigger carboy has like a 3-4 inch foam top. What can I say, I'm still learning how to do this, is only my 4th all grain batch. I think I'll still be pleased with the results. thanks for your suggestions.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #74
JLW
Recipes 

Correction. I think I meant to say I batch sparged for 10 minutes. You will definatley get better. I am on batch 5 or 6 for AG and I get a little better each time.

One other suggestion. When you brew a beer with this much grain you can collect the second runnings and make a partigyle.

I think your beer will turn out great.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #75
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 39

yes - the 2nd runnings are great to make a mild ale or something on the lower abv end.
Tap 2:.
Primary:. Dark Alley Scottish Ale

Old 03-10-2011, 08:00 PM   #76
jim_reaper1066
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How long does this need to age before becoming drinkable? Also, I plugged the numbers into beertools and came out with a 1.091 OG, and 166 IBU's. Is anyone else getting those numbers?

Old 03-10-2011, 09:09 PM   #77
JLW
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_reaper1066 View Post
How long does this need to age before becoming drinkable? Also, I plugged the numbers into beertools and came out with a 1.091 OG, and 166 IBU's. Is anyone else getting those numbers?

I'll check my OG when I get home and can look at my brew log but I don't think I was that high.

week 1 - little carbination, tasted good
week 2 - more carbination, tasted great
week 3 - perfect carbination and taste is incredible

I would drink it while it's fresh.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:26 AM   #78
redXstripe
Recipes 

Default Great Brew!

Just wanted to thank you for a great recipe!

I used this as a basis for my first AG brew.

I had to make some minor adjustments but I love the end result!

Cheers!

Old 03-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #79
SickTransitMundus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I drink this fairly fresh, though I find that a couple of weeks of cold-conditioning in the keg brings out the roast character well. Drink earlier if you prefer hop aggression.

3 weeks in primary. Shove the dry hops into the primary, rack to keg after 5 days. 3 weeks force carb in the kegerator. Then it's ready. For such a big beer it's a short grain-to-glass time.
Gallons in 2011: 145 and counting.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #80
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Thanks for the comments on the recipe, guys. Glad you are enjoying it. I drink it after 3 weeks. About 8 weeks after that you notice the loss of hop character (mainly aroma), though still remains a great beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_reaper1066 View Post
The numbers I list at the top of the recipe were generated by Beersmith. The IBU difference might be attributed to what the AA% is for the hops you have in BeerTools compared to the AA% of my hops.
Tap 2:.
Primary:. Dark Alley Scottish Ale