Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > India Pale Ale > All-Grain - Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA

Old 08-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #141
Reuben1012
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesm View Post
Seems like a long primary and secondary. Did you notice it need to be aged longer or was it for attenuation? And when did you start the dry hopping? Looks like a great recipe ad a great brew!
I had a good pipeline going at the time so it sat for a while, attenuation was quick with the big starter of 05. I think these beers would be good young too, because you would get even more hoppy goodness I started the dry hopping 10 days before I racked to the keg. I want to make it again but need more bulk hops first.....

Old 10-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #142
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 36

just added my dry hops this morning, and thiefed a little. oh, I had forgotten how good this beer tastes!
Tap 2:.
Primary:. Dark Alley Scottish Ale

Old 10-31-2012, 05:07 PM   #143
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 9

This recipe and various modifications are one of the two favorites that I make. In fact, planning on using it for holiday treats this year.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #144
JLW
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewitt View Post
This recipe and various modifications are one of the two favorites that I make. In fact, planning on using it for holiday treats this year.
I too have made a few modifications. Mostly changed the hops to what have in stock. I have made this three times now and I plan on brewng this again either later this year or January.

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Kegged: Indian Brown Ale

Old 10-31-2012, 05:23 PM   #145
JLW
Recipes 

I wonder what this would taste like with alittle rye in it?

Primary: 12-12-12 Wee Heavy, Stone Ruination Clone, Bell's Better brow Ale Clone and Saison d'Hiver
Secondary:
Botteled: All Columbus IPA, Chocolate Peppermint Baltic Porter, Ewalds Altbier, Hopslam Clone, Scottish Strong Ale, Fine Creek Saison, Not so Pale Pale Ale, Double Chocolate Oatmeal Imperial Stout

Old 10-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #146
brrman
Recipes 

I would think the malt profile is strong enough to handle the "spiciness" of the rye malt. Might add a whole new element to the beer.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:02 PM   #147
JLW
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrman View Post
I would think the malt profile is strong enough to handle the "spiciness" of the rye malt. Might add a whole new element to the beer.
I think I am going to do this real soon.

Secondary:

Old 11-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #148
hopdropper
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

All I got to say is "dang!". Been sitting on this one since April and down to a few bottles. Popped the top on one today and this thing is a real winner. Only deviation from the OPs recipe was 8oz of chocolate malt and I mashed the Carafa III for the entire 60 minutes. This is a HUGE beer with a pile of roast/chocolate/bitterness backed up by a hefty 9% ABV. Oh, and the head on this beer? You could bounce a quarter off it...check out the pic. I'm down to three 12 oz bottles and I'm going to hang on to them till the next local comp...
Crap...not a very good pic...this hog is midnight-black, very clear and just flat-out righteous.
Click image for larger version

Name:	black ipa.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	84115  

Old 11-18-2012, 09:29 PM   #149
hopzicle
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just brewed this today. I also mashed the Carafa III for the entire 60 minutes. Can't wait!

Old 11-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #150
brrman
Recipes 

So, this evening I just tasted my most recent batch - it is in the keg only 2 days on gas so it's still a little flat, but it makes me wonder why I haven't brewed this more often.

I always mash the carafa for the full 60 now as well. I have found little to no difference from adding in the last 10 mins. Perhaps I should change the original recipe post.