Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > English Pale Ale > All-Grain - Simple Session Bitter

Old 07-01-2010, 01:37 AM   #11
JBrady
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

This is going to be the next batch I brew, I have one question though. I've never drank a bitter before so I really don't know what one tastes like. When I put this recipe into beer smith I get a .827 bitterness ratio, is this about the norm for this style of beer? The only reason I ask is because I've done a few IPA's that have a bitterness ratio around 1.000. Are these styles of beer supposed to be that close to the bitterness of a IPA? Also I was wondering how I should build my water profile. Should I lean it more towards the balanced side, or should I adjust it to really make the hops stand out? Thanks for any info.

Bottled: Janet's Brown, Session Dry Stout, Yellow Fly Cream Ale

Gallons Brewed In 2011-40

Last edited by JBrady; 07-01-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #12
14thstreet
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Although I've not brewed this, there's not much in this beer to stand up the level of bitterness IMO. Mind you, it's not a bitter bomb and I'd still drink it, I'm sure it is great! I brewed something similar with 3% crystal (no oat malt) and felt that it needed some age to mellow out the bitterness for the other characters to come through. Otherwise it seemed a bit one-dimensional. I like bitter beers, but I guess I like them more when they are more balanced. 0.8-1.0 BU/GU can be "balanced" but for me it needs more malt. There may certainly be a sweet spot in terms of recipe and aging/serving, etc.
On Deck: Hefeweizen

Old 07-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #13
TimBrewz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 66

The style guidlines for Ordinary Bitter have IBU from 25-40 for beers in the 1.032-1.040 range. So as mentioned, that is about .8-1.0 BU/GU

My experience with this style is that the key is good English Pale malt (Maris Otter or the like) and to mash in the 153-155 range for a nice medium-full body to balance the bitterness. Finally, my recommendation to to aim at the lower end for bitterness the first time you brew one-you are more likely to be happy with a slightly under hopped bitter than one that is bracingly bitter.

Cheers!

Old 07-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #14
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Update: just cracked open a couple of the bottles of this batch on which I used the Thames Valley yeast (Wyeast 1275, as opposed to S-04 in my kegged batch), and wow! What a difference. Much cleaner, and crisper. The hop bitterness really shines through with this yeast. Everything just melded together much better. 1275 is the way to go on this one.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
14thstreet
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How much body does the oat malt impart?

Good to see you liked the Thames Valley strain. I used it once and am kicking I didn't save some for later batches. My current batch I used the 1882 TVII strain in a 12% crystal/carapils grist that was mashed at 155F before I got my hands on it (AHA Rally giveaway). I made the mistake of fermenting warm, which exagerated the esters from this strain. Along with 75% attenuation, the combination makes this "bitter" not as satisfying as it would be in the fall/winter months.

For something more sessionable, I can see why flyangler's recipe works with this yeast
On Deck: Hefeweizen

Old 07-19-2010, 03:22 PM   #16
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I don't find that it adds any body, really. This is a very crisp beer, with a fairly light mouth feel. Perfect for sitting outside on a warm day.

Old 09-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #17
JBrady
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Well my brewday for this one starts in about an hour. Looking forward to this one with thames valley yeast and a semi burton water profile.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #18
JBrady
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

This is a awesome brew! We brewed this up about a month ago and just tried the first few bottles today. We did the brew on a semi-burton water profile and it came out great. Thanks for the recipe!

Old 07-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #19
manicmethod
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyangler18 View Post
Oat malt is tits. I originally stocked it for the medieval ale I've written about previously, but I've been tempted to brew an all-oat malt bitter.

Awesome name, BTW.
Would an all-oat malt bitter be gluten free? What temp would you have to mash at, and would there be enough enzymes for conversion?

Old 01-23-2012, 03:12 AM   #20
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 415 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 1227

MOOBS- Marris Otter Oat Bitter Session