HTL Magnetic Stir Bar - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Chillers & Stir Plates > HTL Magnetic Stir Bar

Old 10-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #1
sjlammer
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Albany, NY
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have been wresting with how to stir/mix my HLT, and BK (during chilling).

I've thought about pumping, or stirring with a motor, but it always seems either really expensive to do it right, or it will be ghetto and cobbed together.

Im wondering if you think that i could make a super strong stir plate that will work through my coolers insulation on the bottom of the HLT? I think this would be a slick way to mix the HLT (and perhaps the BK).

What do you guys think?

On Deck: Spruce APA, Chambord Fortified Chocolate Porter, Imperial IPA

Primary:
Primary:
Secondary: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Conical:
Lagering: None
Kegged/Drinking: Cascade, Cent., Amarillo Pale Ale
Kegged/Drinking: Belgian Pale Ale (HG yeast for yeast cropping see above)
Bottled: ESB

Old 10-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #2
Sawdustguy
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Manorville, New York
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjlammer View Post
I have been wresting with how to stir/mix my HLT, and BK (during chilling).

I've thought about pumping, or stirring with a motor, but it always seems either really expensive to do it right, or it will be ghetto and cobbed together.

Im wondering if you think that i could make a super strong stir plate that will work through my coolers insulation on the bottom of the HLT? I think this would be a slick way to mix the HLT (and perhaps the BK).

What do you guys think?
The magnets you would need, a stir bar large enough and the size fan you are going to need to build a magnetic stirrer large enough to stir your HLT or Boil Kettle will cost alot more than if you used a motor to stir with.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
CodeRage
Death by Magumba!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2007
Melbourne, Fl
Liked 46 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
I also don't understand why you would stir the Boil Kettle.
Whirl-pooling.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Santa Clara, CA
Liked 68 Times on 51 Posts

I've seen some people here use an ice-cream maker motor with a stir bar. I have no clue what they use for a stir bar, but the ones I've been able to find via web search are mutha-flocking EXPENSIVE...

Old 12-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
cluckk
Recipes 

Apr 2005
San Antonio, TX
Liked 360 Times on 230 Posts

This guy shows how he does a whirlpool with a copper cane and pump. http://youtu.be/Bfp_ifTjMqg?t=4m. Skip to the 4:00 mark.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
augiedoggy
Recipes 

Dec 2013
North Tonawanda NY
Liked 474 Times on 404 Posts

Just an Fyi for others searching for info on this topic,
I built a stir plate from an old 120v 6" cooling fan and a $7 wall dimmer switch to stir a $5 2" stir bar and it works fine to agitate all 15 gallons of water..... with the cost of the fancy box I have about $19 invested.....
An old motor from a small fan bought at say the good will would work just as well but my fan is like a bog PC style ... I think they call them muffin fans?
I don't know if a 12v fan would be strong enough honestly but there's a lot of cheap used options in between.