Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Irish Red on Windsor Cake

Old 10-12-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
UncleDave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Irish Red on Windsor Cake

Thinking about doing an Irish Red and would like some opinions. Normally I mash an hour @ 155 F for a medium body and use S04 yeast. Trying to find a use for a Windsor Cake I will be racking off next weekend, so I'm thinking of pitching the Irish Red on the cake, but I'd like to compensate for the less attenuative yeast. So I need to compensate with the mash temp and am thinking about 151. Should this be enough of an adjustment or should I go into the high 140s?

Old 10-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't think you could pick a worse yeast for an Irish Red than Windsor; you want clean, attenuative yeast for the style, and Windsor is neither... US-05 or Nottingham is a much better option IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 10-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
UncleDave
Recipes 

Hmm, well I have a week old Pale Ale on Nottingham right now as well. I've been happy with using S04 for Irish Reds, but perhaps I'll take a shot with Notty and see how it turns out.