Old Ale Old Ale (HBT 2009 Bronze)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP002
Yeast Starter
2 qt
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks @ 63F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 year @ 63F
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
see below
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Blimey's Old Ale
Brewer: HopHed Brewhaus
Asst Brewer:
Style: Old Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Estimated OG: 1.094 SG
Estimated Color: 23.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 49.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 lb Treacle (100.0 SRM) Extract 5.56 %
16.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 88.89 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2.78 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.39 %
0.25 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.39 %
3.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 28.2 IBU
1.50 oz Fuggles [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 15.9 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 5.3 IBU
0.33 oz Burton Water Salts (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 17.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 3.06 gal of water at 176.0 F 155.0 F

sounds good - my 2005 barleywine is all gone so i need to get a replacement started.
thanks for the recipe.

Brewed this back in early May and have just entered it in the Arkansas State Fair competition. I'll let you know how it does, but I have high hopes. This is an excellent recipe and a great example of what an old ale should be.

Terje

I am thinking about brewing this today and pitching on a Wyeast 1968 cake. I have never done this before before but do I need to worry considering this yeast recommends a diactyl rest?

im enjoying a glass of Curmudgeon right now and am also wondering how this recipe compares. Im not a fan so much of barley wines, and am pretty sure the Curmudgeon is close if not spot on. I jus prefer the more oaky and bourbon flavor of it.

Brewed this recipe today. Hoping for a Curmudgeonish outcome. Got a 78% efficiency. I used Maris Otter in place of the of Pale. Also, I used 1 lb of Brer Rabbit molasses in place of treacle and stirred it in at the beginning of the boil. For yeast to pitched WLP013 London Ale because it was rated a bit higher on tolerance. After three weeks I'm thinking for racking to secondary with some oak chips or shavings for a couple of weeks for that last little kick before kegging and enjoying.

Fingers crosses for a good outcome!

I brewed a recipe based on this yesterday. With my yeast starter it was bubbling within 4 hours of pitching... I think that's a record for me. Mine was molasses and London Ale, like the last poster.
Thanks for the recipe!
-bill

I'm wondering how this turned out for everyone? I love Curmudgeon and I'm going to brew a recipe based off of this one to see if I can get something similar to that. The plan is to use Maris Otter, black strap molasses, Columbus hops, and WLP 004 in my version. Oak cubes will be added to secondary for a few weeks also. I will make an update in a few months and let everyone know how it turns out

Also looking to brew a Curmudgeon clone with molasses and oak and curious how the recipe turned out for the above posters.

Bringing this back from the dead. This looks like a solid recipe, I'm surprised there's been no feedback. How is everyone's memories on this one?

Cheers.

Back