Witless, Witmore, and Wit wit (HBT Comp winner 16e)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bokonon

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP400 Belgian Wit Ale
Yeast Starter
5L starter (3L for imperial, 2L for normal)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
3.9srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 67 degrees
Tasting Notes
An average wit but worked out nicely with orval dregs
Grain bill:
12lbs Best Malz Pilsner
10lbs Flaked wheat
3lbs Wheat malt
1lbs Flaked oats
1lbs Rice hulls

Hops/spices:
1.25oz Glacier (6.1% AA) @ 60 min
.75oz Cascade (6.1% AA) @ 30 min
.5 Glacier (6.1% AA) @ 15 min
.75oz Crushed Coriander seed @ flameout
1oz Chamomile @ flameout
1.2oz Citrus Zest @ flameout

20 minute protein rest @ 122 degrees
45 minute saccrification rest @ 154 degrees

The citrus zest was whatever I could get that looked good at the time. Did not record what I had, but I recall 1 lemon, 1 lime, 2 blood oranges, and 2-3 other misc citrus. All were zested during the mash

The first 10 quarts were collected into a separate pot for the "imperial" and 1lbs of sugar and .5oz of Glacier hops were added to this pot and boiled for 60 minutes.

At the end of the full batch boil the "imperial" was added to a carboy and topped off with the normal wort. The other carboy just had the normal wort run into it.

After fermentation the imperial lacked the balance I was hoping for so I racked it into another carboy and pitched a supply of bugs. To be sampled in 6-12 months.

The beer that took first in the belgian/french category was 1 gal that was leftover from the normal batch that I stuck into a 1 gal jug and pitched orval dregs into and let ferment for a while (at least 4 months).

The normal wit recipe is very tasty but does not do well in a competition as a wit.

Back