Centennial Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SourHopHead

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WYeast 1272
Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
12.5P
Final Gravity
2.5P
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 70
Tasting Notes
Citrus aroma and flavor.
39pts HBT 2009 3rd Place

A single hop pale ale. Local brewery here was making a single hop series and I just got my Centennial Hops, so I tried my hand at one.

Recipe: Centennial Pale Ale
Brewer: Justin
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.88 gal
Estimated OG: 12.587 Plato
Estimated Color: 7.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 57.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 68.00 %
Boil Time: 65 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.06 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 87.12 %
0.81 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.79 %
0.53 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 5.10 %
2.00 oz Centennial [9.10 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [12.20 %] (60 min) Hops 33.1 IBU
0.75 oz Centennial [9.10 %] (20 min) Hops 14.9 IBU
0.75 oz Centennial [9.10 %] (10 min) Hops 8.9 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.10 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-StHops -
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 10.40 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 10.40 qt of water at 168.9 F 154.0 F
10 min Mash Out Add 7.28 qt of water at 191.6 F 168.0 F

Notes:
------
2.25 L:G 2.81gal mash-in. Mashed at 155. Strike temp of 169.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Single hop? :D

IMO the bittering hop will not give the hop flavor and all the "single hop" centennial additions give all the aroma and flavor. I asked the brewer who designed the recipes and it was a cost thing because of how many more hops he would need to get the same bitterness.

Sorry if my reply seemed snarky. :eek:

I was unaware that the bittering hops didn't contribute to the flavor.

I just recently made the two hearted clone which uses all centennial and loved it so I may have to give your recipe a try.

sorry to revive...but isn't this pretty hoppy for a pale ale? Not that I mind hops, but outside of the somewhat low OG would you consider this to taste more along the lines of an IPA?

Not a problem. Early local competition comments suggested it was too sweet and malty with some Diacetyl present. Later HBT comments said it needed more malt to counter the bitterness, no diacetyl present and a pleasant hop bite at the finish. I did not get any Diacetyl but I thought the bitterness/balance was ok. I guess my interpretation of the style was more on the IPA end.

I tried this recipe with Simcoe hops and it was way too bitter. Fell in between an IPA and a Pale Ale. I don't think it had the body of an IPA, but the bitterness and aroma were there. I agree to tweak the OG to better balance the bitterness and should be spot on.

It is too bitter for the style, IMHO. I had one with 40 IBU and all centennial, and got marked down by all three judges(in a local competition) for being too bitter for the style. And that was the ONLY negative comment about this beer. But I loved it, especially with food, and one of the judges said that as well.

It was a little lighter colored than yours and my water gets amazing hop utilization, but about judging and categories, I'm just saying....

Drinking this right now.

1 month primary 2 weeks in keg.

Oh lord this is good. Its very refreshing. I did not dry hop so it is a little different than the recipe, but I will brew this again.

Latest posts

Back