Cocoa powder in keg... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Cocoa powder in keg...

Old 10-12-2009, 01:57 AM   #1
Lando
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Little Rock, Ar.
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed up a stout recipe I found on BMW and it calls for 4 oz of cocoa powder and 4 oz lactose at bottling. I added these to the keg four days ago and when I poured a sample tonight it poured about a pint of the cocoa and lactose mixture that I boiled and added to the mix during kegging. The dip tube in the keg is cut so I assume it would have poured off a lot more if not for that. The sample has a lot of the powder in it as well.
How long until this stuff either settles out or fades away?
I am debating on changing out the dip tubes to see if I can suck out more of this junk if it doesn't settle out or mix in after a few weeks.

Old 10-12-2009, 02:02 AM   #2
chefmike
Recipes 

Dec 2007
north Georgia
Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

I would link to the recipe and see if it is someone here we can ask what their experience was. I have none with this combo... but I am intrigued!
Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 10-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
Lando
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Little Rock, Ar.
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/...sty-oats-stout

Here is the recipe. It says to let age for four months. Any idea what kind of effect that will have on the powder clumps in the keg? Should I age in the fridge, or ambient of around 64f?

Old 10-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #4
JesseRC

Recipes 

Oct 2008
San Antonio
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Well it doesnt say to put the cocoa in the keg it just says to add after Primary, that could mean that you're supposed to do a Secondary, which is very common when adding adjuncts like cocoa powder. The lactose can really be added at anytime. How long has it been carbing. You might do a keg to keg transfer to another keg to try to leave the trub behind.

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 10-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
Lando
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Little Rock, Ar.
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good idea.
I think I will stick the autosiphon into the keg to hopfully suck up some of the trub and what not after a few more days of cold crashing in the keg. Then transfer to another keg if needed.

What if I were to let the keg warm up, add gelatin to help clear it, cold crash again and then transfer. Any problems with that?