California Common California Common- HBT Comp winner 1st place - Page 9 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > California Common California Common- HBT Comp winner 1st place

Old 11-07-2013, 11:43 PM   #81
dyqik
Recipes 

Jun 2013
Maynard, MA
Liked 213 Times on 167 Posts

I might as well ask this here, I think. I'm planning on brewing a Cali Common, and I got a copy of Brewing Classic Styles yesterday. In it, the Cali Common recipe (that this recipe is based on) seems very heavy on the pale malt - the AG version calls for 10 lb of pale malt, plus the same character malts as in this recipe. Is this a mistake in the book, or are they assuming very low efficiency? BeerSmith puts it at 1064 or so for my efficiency in a 5.5 gallon batch into the fermenter (6 gal post boil volume at 60F).

Old 12-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #82
Herk
Recipes 

Aug 2010
Boise, ID

Just brewed this today. My only variation is using Maris Otter for the base malt, because that's what I had. Hope it's not to "Maris Ottery" if that's even possible.

Old 12-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #83
sfgoat
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2013
Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Liked 173 Times on 130 Posts

Has anybody ever used any other hop substitutions on this? I know it wouldn't be true to the style I guess just wanting to make it and I just want to use what I have on hand. I have Willamette, EKG, Cascade and Centennial in copious amounts. What are your thoughts on any of those? Thanks.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:45 AM   #84
KWheth
Recipes 

Mar 2013
Newark, Delaware
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgoat View Post
Has anybody ever used any other hop substitutions on this? I know it wouldn't be true to the style I guess just wanting to make it and I just want to use what I have on hand. I have Willamette, EKG, Cascade and Centennial in copious amounts. What are your thoughts on any of those? Thanks.
Heard from a couple folks that they subbed Cascade for N. Brewer. If brewed already, which one did you use and how did it turn out?

Just brewed this BIAB, and was just above the OG mark, and hit 1.058. Will look forward to this final results in a couple weeks.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:44 AM   #85
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3180 Times on 1881 Posts

Just brewed this today!

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-06-2014, 02:46 AM   #86
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7616 Times on 5360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Just brewed this today!
Let me know how you like it, please! I am a real hophead, but I do like this beer a lot and I'm really curious to see how you feel about it as well.

Revvy Likes This 
Old 04-06-2014, 02:51 AM   #87
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3180 Times on 1881 Posts

I don't think I've ever had a beer take off so fast. Pitched yeast at 3:45 pm, and just got home at 10:30 and I have a 2 inch full krausen on it. I'm used to lager yeasts at lager temps, maybe being a little on the slow side. I have my temp controller running a heat belt to keep it at 62 degrees, so I guess lager yeast running hot must take off like gangbusters.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-06-2014, 02:58 AM   #88
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7616 Times on 5360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I don't think I've ever had a beer take off so fast. Pitched yeast at 3:45 pm, and just got home at 10:30 and I have a 2 inch full krausen on it. I'm used to lager yeasts at lager temps, maybe being a little on the slow side. I have my temp controller running a heat belt to keep it at 62 degrees, so I guess lager yeast running hot must take off like gangbusters.
When I've done this beer, it hasn't taken off so well for me but I've run it a bit colder, using ambient temperatures in the high 50s generally (one of the joys of living in a frigid climate. ).

Now I want to go out and buy some Northern Brewer hops, just to make this again. You've got me excited about this beer again!

Revvy Likes This 
Old 07-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #89
Lakehub
Recipes 

Jul 2015
SSM, Ontario
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

We brew this very similar recipe at high 60's using S23. Works great and gets the flavours that the lager yeast makes at ale temps. As for the post about hop subs I would go with will as it has some of those earthy tones that NB has.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:19 PM   #90
brew703
Recipes 

Jul 2015
Outside of Nola, Looziana
Liked 59 Times on 52 Posts

I brewed this in August. I fermented 14 days @62 and 7 days @56.
Bottle condition for 1 week before trying.
First impression was not good. Had a off flavor, initially like grain alcohol.
Figured it was due to not being able to ferment for the 4th week at 56.
Been trying a bottle about every week. As each week passed the off flavor was slowly dimensioning.
Today is 2.5 months from brew day. I can now say the grain alcohol taste is now gone. Now it has a very nice malty flavor. So much better now that it's aged 1.5 moths in the bottle.
Will definitely brew again but will make sure time allows for the 4th week of fermentation.

Untappd: nola_brewer