Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - California Common- HBT Comp winner 1st place

Old 01-31-2010, 04:20 PM   #31
EO74
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I always use whirlfloc,my only thought would be that it was below 30 F so maybe it was a questionable boil ? Ohhh well it still tase great im gonna def do this on again thanks for the recipe LOVE it.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:32 AM   #33
bsteab0yz
Recipes 

I made this recipe but I guess I got a little impatient and left it in the primary around 63 degrees for about 2 weeks then brought it up to about 70 degrees for a few days then racked it into a keg and put it back in the basement for a few more days and now it's in my kegerator in some CO2. I pulled a pint today just to see what it was like and it's very very 'sulfury'... my question is, will this go away while in the kegerator or since I have taken it away from the yeast, will it hold this flavor forever and probably need to be dumped? My kegerator is set pretty low, so the beer is probably getting around 40 degrees. Should I just let it sit in there for a few weeks before I try it again to let the sulfur taste chill out?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #34
John000smith
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Question about Lagering California common

I recently brew Jamil California Common recipe. Here is my time line. I brewed about 2 weeks ago. Prior to brewing i made a yeast starter with White Labs WLP 810. OG 1.050

I have a chest freezer I use as my fermentation chamber. Fermented at 61 degrees for 11 days. I waited until I was getting about 3 bubbles every minute. I then moved the temperature up to 68 degrees for diacetyl rest for 24hrs.

Day 12 transferred to secondary and took some yeast with me from the primary. Checked gravity currently @ 1.011

Currently in the secondary at 56 degrees.

My question is where to go from here. Since Jamil did not provide any instruction on fermentation schedule I have been following Yooper’s schedule from this original post. So do I need to let my beer finish out at 56 degrees in the secondary and then lager, or just skip lager and bottle?

What temp should I lager at? Can I lager this in the secondary or do I need to bottle then lager?

Any thought or recommendation to ensure this beer comes out great would be appreciated.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #35
marx3006
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Getting ready to try this, anyone done this as a 10 gal batch? If so did you simply double everything?

"The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with beer"
- Egyptian Proverb

Old 11-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #36
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Hey Yoop, I'm really wanting to brew up a steam beer this weekend but I'm having a hard time deciding between a recipe like this or your other more simple steam beer. I'd really like to just do 2-row and crystal 60, but I'm worried about not getting the complexity the other grains in this version might lend. Which recipe do you prefer?

Old 11-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #37
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6009 Times on 4282 Posts
Likes Given: 1545

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
Hey Yoop, I'm really wanting to brew up a steam beer this weekend but I'm having a hard time deciding between a recipe like this or your other more simple steam beer. I'd really like to just do 2-row and crystal 60, but I'm worried about not getting the complexity the other grains in this version might lend. Which recipe do you prefer?
I'm not sure. I just did the Jamil's steam again, and I think it needs more bittering hops with the "toasty" that recipe provides. I think the plainer one is actually the better beer since you don't have to balance the "toasty", "malty", "bitter" "hoppy" etc. It's a tough thing to balance well, in a lager-ish beer in my opinion.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 11-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #38
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Cool, I wanted to go with your other recipe and now you've convinced me that I was right!

Old 01-14-2011, 06:17 PM   #39
midlifecrisis
Recipes 

This is my favorite recipe on HBT. I've used this exact recipe twice now and both have been outstanding beers. I did increase the Victory malt to 1 lb (I like the biscuit flavor) and my last batch I included a dry hop step with 1 oz of Northern Brewer. This gives a very nice (and subtle) extra aroma to the beer. I think I might just have to brew this again soon as I don't know how long the current batch will last.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:44 PM   #40
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6009 Times on 4282 Posts
Likes Given: 1545

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
This is my favorite recipe on HBT. I've used this exact recipe twice now and both have been outstanding beers. I did increase the Victory malt to 1 lb (I like the biscuit flavor) and my last batch I included a dry hop step with 1 oz of Northern Brewer. This gives a very nice (and subtle) extra aroma to the beer. I think I might just have to brew this again soon as I don't know how long the current batch will last.
That sounds great- I'll have to try it with more victory malt. I like the toasty/biscuit flavor, too.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans