Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Amber Hybrid Beer > All-Grain - California Common- HBT Comp winner 1st place

Old 11-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #21
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I haven't tried it but I have heard S-23 dry yeast makes a decent steam beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 11-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #22
defenestrate

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
I haven't tried it but I have heard S-23 dry yeast makes a decent steam beer.
i'll keep that in mind... in another month or so hopefully my basement will be holding 58-60 so maybe i'll give it a try, if i dont make a lagerator first

Old 11-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #23
craigd
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Does steam beer usually have a lager phase? I had assumed the style was fermented at ale temps traditionally because they couldn't reach lager temps... I have been considering doing one but mid 60s is about as low as I can keep my fermenters and I'm not sure how that will turn out.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:06 AM   #24
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd View Post
Does steam beer usually have a lager phase? I had assumed the style was fermented at ale temps traditionally because they couldn't reach lager temps... I have been considering doing one but mid 60s is about as low as I can keep my fermenters and I'm not sure how that will turn out.
From everything I've read on "steam" ales, you're correct. The lager yeast suggested for this brew is either WLP810 or Wyeast 2112. The yeasts are used because they produce lager characteristics at higher-than-normal fermentation temps, in the Ale range. 2112 is rated a tad bit lower than WLP810, but both are fine in the mid 60s.

I recently made my first batch of common as an extract recipe derived from YooperBrew's other version. I started at 64ºF for a week, warmed it up to 67ºF for three weeks (in a plastic bucket, on the cake for the entire month, no agitation) and it finished out quite low, but not too dry. I used WLP810 with a 1.5qt starter in a gallon jug, occasionally shaken over an 18 hour period. Tastes wonderful, and has been a real hit with everyone who's tried it!
Secondary 1 and 2: air
Bottles: air/dust

Old 12-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #25
EO74

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I got all the stuff today for an all grain batch for about $25 Icant wait to try it.thanks yooper for the recipe!!!

Old 12-04-2009, 05:03 PM   #26
Buffman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I really want to brew this, but I can't "lager" in the 50s. The coolest I can get is ~64. Do you think that that will have any negative effects?

Old 12-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #27
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

It won't be super clear? Honestly, I'm loving this beer, and I never had it below 64ºF. Went straight to bottles, and they are great.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:09 AM   #28
EO74

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ive got this on tap now and it taste AWSOME!!! But for some reason its really cloudy????Ive never had this problem before.It taste kind of chocolety or biscuty or no a combination of both i love it.Im gonna do it again for a pig roast in july my only fear is if its cloudy some people might not drink it,yopper has this happened to u with this recipe before or did i just screw somthing up??????

Old 01-30-2010, 02:27 AM   #29
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5742 Times on 4111 Posts
Likes Given: 1435

Quote:
Originally Posted by EO74 View Post
Ive got this on tap now and it taste AWSOME!!! But for some reason its really cloudy????Ive never had this problem before.It taste kind of chocolety or biscuty or no a combination of both i love it.Im gonna do it again for a pig roast in july my only fear is if its cloudy some people might not drink it,yopper has this happened to u with this recipe before or did i just screw somthing up??????
If you get a good cold break, and a good hot break, it should be clear eventually! Try using whirlfloc with 10 minutes left in the boil. That seems to really help.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-31-2010, 01:39 PM   #30
torque2k
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Has anyone had an over-carbonation problem with this beer? I bottled, with 4oz corn sugar to the five gallons. I'm finding that the longer it sits, the more over-the-top it gets. I poured a bottle yesterday and had to scoop out three inches of frothy foam from my pint glass! Taste is great, though, and no bottle bombs in any of the 12, 16 or 22oz bottles I used...