Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Porter > Robust Porter - 531 Brew Haus- 1st Place 2009 HBT BJCP Comp

Old 11-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #11
ShorelineThomas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Racked it to secondary (a glass carboy) a couple days ago, about a day or two earlier than the recipe called for, but I was heading out on a multiday trip.

It looked and smelled fine, and tasted fresh, sweet and yummy. Looking forward to the final result!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
boosh
Recipes 

Hey all, I like this recipe and have some questions about fermentation and supplies.

Is a secondary necessary for this brew, and if so - why?

Also, how do you all transfer your beer from primary to secondary, and from secondary to bottling? I assume some sort of siphoning, but knowing exactly how you all do it would help me out with my purchase of more supplies.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #13
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Secondary is just a way to "bulk age" it. There are many arguments pro/con. It is a personal decision. I don't need to drink it fast-- i'd prefer if it was as good as it can be. In my opinion, high alcohol beers with black patent malt/ roasty flavors benefit from aging.

I use an autosiphon. Stick siphon end into my plastic fermentation bucket and put hose end into another container. Same for bottling, but add a bottling wand on the hose end.

Good luck!
Wendy

Old 11-13-2010, 04:32 AM   #14
ShorelineThomas
Recipes 

My batch is still in progress, and looking good.

I figured I'd need a secondary regardless, since it wasn't fully fermented after 3 weeks, and I wanted to get the beer off the trub in the primary. On reflection, though, maybe I didn't need to do this, if it wasn't finished fermenting?

It looks lovely in the glass carboy...gentle bubbles, a 1-2 cm layer of rich foam on top, just under the neck of the carboy. It's completely full of beer.

I don't have an auto-siphon, and I should probably get one some day. However, I've got two other methods that work well for me:
- My primary is also my bottling bucket, and has a spigot, so I can easily transfer the beer from primary to secondary by just using a transfer hose after sanitizing the spigot, hose and carboy as best I can.
- Then to get beer out of the carboy, I use the "carboy cap" method of siphoning with positive or negative air pressure, exerted carefully by mouth on the carboy cap's "mouthpiece."

Thanks again Wendy!
-Tom

Old 11-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #15
midfielder5
Recipes 

Tom-- what was the gravity reading when you transferred? it should finish off in the secondary if it was not too high.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #16
ShorelineThomas
Recipes 

Wendy,

It was 1.038. I thought that was great, but maybe not enough fermentation. Now, after 2 weeks in secondary at 66 to 68F, it's only fallen to 1.030 (on its way to 1.016-1.018).

I wonder if I need to keep it warmer to keep the fermentation moving?? There's one week left in its scheduled bulk aging, but I doubt it will be fermentation-complete by then.

Thank you for your help!

Tom

Old 11-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #17
D-Day
Recipes 

I brewed this up a few days ago (partial mash as I haven't made that leap yet). Not only does it sound like it will be delicious, but it sure smelled tasty as well. I have a little beer tasting gathering in a few months that I needed a good Porter for and this one seems right up my alley, so thank you for sharing.

I just recently started using the BeerSmith software (free demo, though I'll probably purchase b/c of all the handy features) and it estimated an OG of 1.077 which is what it came out at. Also estimates that it'll end at 1.024, which is a little higher than I expected, but makes sense.

Can't wait to get this bottled up and take it for a taste test.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #18
midfielder5
Recipes 

Hi Tom,
1.038 is too high. Each fermentation is different-- I don't move mine off the yeast until it is finished or close to terminal gravity.

Did you pitch the yeast as is, or make a starter?

I would take another gravity reading, and if it is still in the '30s, I would get some dry Nottingham yeast & add it. **I have never done that before, but you might have a "stuck" fermentation. There is more info to be had on this issue in the Yeast section of this website.

Good luck!
Wendy

Old 11-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #19
boosh
Recipes 

This is probably a stupid question that should go somewhere else, but I'm asking specifically about this recipe.

The hop schedule and spice schedule is around 60 minutes. Now when you say "at 20 minutes" or "at 10 minutes", does that mean 10/20 minutes INTO the boil, or with 10/20 minutes REMAINING in the boil?

Part of me thinks it's that much INTO the boil, but my previous brew could have been screwed up for other reasons.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:02 PM   #20
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosh View Post
This is probably a stupid question that should go somewhere else, but I'm asking specifically about this recipe.

The hop schedule and spice schedule is around 60 minutes. Now when you say "at 20 minutes" or "at 10 minutes", does that mean 10/20 minutes INTO the boil, or with 10/20 minutes REMAINING in the boil?

Part of me thinks it's that much INTO the boil, but my previous brew could have been screwed up for other reasons.
You set your timer for 60 minutes and add the additions when those numbers come up on the timer

@ 60 minutes means you add it right when you start your timer.
@ 20 minutes means you add it when the timer says 20 minutes (after it's been boiling for 40 minutes etc.)
@ 1 minute means when there is one minute left in the boil etc. (after it's been boiling 59 minutes).
Bottled: Ó Flannagáin Standard, Random Stout, Nut Brown, Edwort's Rye IPA, Milk Stout + Coffee Milk Stout, Centennial Blonde, Pale Ale, Cthulhu Dementia Robust Porter, Nyarlathotep (I)IIPA, Willamette IPA parti-gyle, Indian Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, Barely Legal IIPA, Oatmeal Stout 2, Hazelnut Coffee Oatmeal Stout
Planned: RIS, Coconut Porter