Irish Red Ale Irish Red (1st place HBT comp) - Page 18 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Irish Red Ale Irish Red (1st place HBT comp)
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 03-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #171
Hackwood
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts

Color-wise it doesn't come out as Red. Most that have posted state this. With a good light behind it you will see some red. Taste is all Red though.

Bottle-aging -Nothing.
In the Fridge - Brian's Best Bitter

Old 03-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #172
Sudz
Recipes 

May 2008
OKC America
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Mine came out on the numbers but way too dark for an Irish Red. However, it is an outstanding beer.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #173
stewart194
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Lawrence, Kansas
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

I'm going to brew this soon and will stick to the original recipe...but how would you go about lightening it up and making it more red? Could you do that without drastically changing the flavor of the beer?

Old 06-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #174
raymadigan
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Western, Washington
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart194 View Post
I'm going to brew this soon and will stick to the original recipe...but how would you go about lightening it up and making it more red? Could you do that without drastically changing the flavor of the beer?
Irish reds are supposed to get their color from the roasted barley. I am going to drop the caramel and up the roasted barley to get the color right.

I will also lager this, not sure what yeast I will use.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:17 PM   #175
Sudz
Recipes 

May 2008
OKC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymadigan View Post
Irish reds are supposed to get their color from the roasted barley. I am going to drop the caramel and up the roasted barley to get the color right.
I'm very interested in how this turns out. I do like this beer but it's too dark for a red. I've thought about tweaking to lighten up this brew to permit the red to shine through. Just not certain what effect this may have on it's taste.

Old 06-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #176
raymadigan
Recipes 

Apr 2011
Western, Washington
Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudz View Post
I'm very interested in how this turns out. I do like this beer but it's too dark for a red. I've thought about tweaking to lighten up this brew to permit the red to shine through. Just not certain what effect this may have on it's taste.
It will be less caramel taste, I am going to lager it so I won't know for 3 or 4 months.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #177
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Oct 2009
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Liked 1862 Times on 1175 Posts

I don't get the "colour" comments. I brewed this recipe exactly as listed, and the colour is spot-on for a Red Ale. Real reds aren't supposed to be bright (like a blonde with a little red dye #9) - they're supposed to be darker. But if you hold them up to a light, the beautiful crimson hue is unmistakeable. Macrobrew reds are typically much too light. Authentic reds are ... well, exactly like this recipe.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:58 PM   #178
stewart194
Recipes 

Nov 2012
Lawrence, Kansas
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
I don't get the "colour" comments. I brewed this recipe exactly as listed, and the colour is spot-on for a Red Ale. Real reds aren't supposed to be bright (like a blonde with a little red dye #9) - they're supposed to be darker. But if you hold them up to a light, the beautiful crimson hue is unmistakeable. Macrobrew reds are typically much too light. Authentic reds are ... well, exactly like this recipe.
I am not an Irish Red expert by any means, but the two that I've brewed looked like this. These were very similar in color and taste to Smithwick's and the other commercial versions of Irish Red's that are available here. Do they get any more authentic than Smithwick's?? Serious question!

And honestly, to me, Smithwick's and the others I've tried just aren't very bold and flavorful. That is what lead me to this recipe. But maybe that is just the style.

What are the true authentic Irish Red's that are the deeper red color like this recipe?

Thanks!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/photo/irish-red-60350.html

Old 06-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #179
Sudz
Recipes 

May 2008
OKC America

"I don't get the "colour" comments. I brewed this recipe exactly as listed, and the colour is spot-on for a Red Ale. Real reds aren't supposed to be bright (like a blonde with a little red dye #9) - they're supposed to be darker. But if you hold them up to a light, the beautiful crimson hue is unmistakeable. Macrobrew reds are typically much too light. Authentic reds are ... well, exactly like this recipe."

Well,

I hear what you're saying but in this neck of the woods, reds show color without holding them up to a light. I suspect the Queen may perfer them a tad darker...

Seriously this is a minor thing caus' this is one fine beer...

Old 06-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #180
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ
Liked 8245 Times on 6707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCJP category 9D: Appearance
Amber to deep reddish copper color (most examples have a deep reddish hue).
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style09.php#1d