Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Ginger Ale - 3rd place 2009 HBT BJCP Comp

Old 10-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #31
dcimera
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Alright thanks Joe. I will be brewing this this weekend and I'll let you know how it comes out once everything is done. Cheers!

Old 10-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #32
mxracer652
Recipes 

Could you clarify exactly what 2 items of lemon juice & lemon zest are?

Thanks!

Old 10-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #33
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxracer652 View Post
Could you clarify exactly what 2 items of lemon juice & lemon zest are?
The juice and zest from 2 lemons

I'm probably going to omit the zest next time. I found the last batch too lemony, and i think all the lemon oil messes with head retention.

-Joe

Progress is always up on my Facebook page

Old 10-28-2011, 12:54 AM   #34
mxracer652
Recipes 

10-4! Thanks buddy!

Old 12-28-2011, 03:01 PM   #35
funkstrman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hey everyone. I am brewing this today, and plan on following the recipe as written except for the irish moss and lemon zest. I'm planning on putting the ginger through a food processor and leaving it in the carboy for fermentation. For the secondary addition, I will mince it and use a nylon bag for the rest of the process. I'll let you know how everything goes.
-funk

Edit:
-FYI I received 1/2 cup of lemon juice from the two lemons. So if anyone else is planning on omitting the lemon zest and doesn't want to buy lemons, 1/2 cup of lemon juice will work with adjustments to your liking.
-I have decided to skin the ginger before putting it in the food processor. At 30 minutes I will add the processed ginger directly to the kettle, and put the skins in the hop bag in order to pull them out at the end of the boil.
-I ended up with a 1.047 OG, gonna pitch the yeast and let her work! I will come back and post a review after a three week fermentation and a 2-3 week bottle conditioning. Cheers!
Bottled- Blue Star Wheat clone, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, BIPA, Chocolate Espresso Stout, Black Hook Porter clone, Ginger Ale, Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen, Peppercorn Rye Boch, Cream of Three Crops
Future- Old Rasputin Imperial Stout Clone

Old 01-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #36
funkstrman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I added the secondary ginger last Wednesday, and put her out in the garage this morning for a little 24 hour cold crash before the bottling on Tuesday. It'll be interesting to see if it clears up at all. I'll post another shot of the carboy on Tuesday if I notice any difference.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ginger Beer.jpg
Views:	1323
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	43837  
Bottled- Blue Star Wheat clone, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, BIPA, Chocolate Espresso Stout, Black Hook Porter clone, Ginger Ale, Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen, Peppercorn Rye Boch, Cream of Three Crops

Old 01-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #37
nostalgia
Recipes 

It usually drops crystal clear for me. But then I keg, so it gets cold conditioned.

Good luck!

-Joe

Old 01-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #38
funkstrman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey Joe, didn't realize I have been almost exclusively brewing your recipes. No stalker here that's for sure, we must just have some similar tastes!

The beer didn't clear up too much. I don't think it ever got cold enough in the garage for a true cold crash.

I ended up with a 1.008 FG which puts it around 5.2% ABV. My brother and I tried a little left over from the bottling and WOW! I think I'm going to like this beer quite a bit. I have several friends and coworkers who are interested in trying it as well, so it could be a hit! Thanks for the great recipe, and now that I know I've been inadvertently brewing your recipes lately, I may make it an intentional decision to try another. I'll post a pic here after a good 3-4 week conditioning. Cheers buddy, love the man skirt!

-Jerrod

Old 01-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #39
nostalgia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkstrman View Post
Hey Joe, didn't realize I have been almost exclusively brewing your recipes. No stalker here that's for sure, we must just have some similar tastes!
That's pretty funny I've got a few of my favorites posted on my website, so feel free to check 'em out.

-Joe

Old 01-30-2012, 02:11 AM   #40
funkstrman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, I just popped one of these Ginger Ales tonight. It was the ~10oz bottle that was filled from the dregs of the bottling bucket. All I can say is WOW! If you like ginger, BREW THIS! It has only been bottle conditioned for about 10 days, but it is incredible! I am very excited to have 5 gallons of this amazing brew! I'll post a picture of my pint after it conditions a little longer and can hold a little larger head. It is actually pretty clear even though I didn't add Irish Moss.

Nostalgia- GREAT recipe buddy!

-Jerrod