Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Added gelatin to primary, now I have krausen again.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
middleofnowhere
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Added gelatin to primary, now I have krausen again.

I have had an AHS pumpkin ale in primary for about 5 weeks now, and I wanted to really clarify it before transferring it to my keg. My FG was stuck at 1.016 for about 5 days, so I figured it was done. I cooled the beer by opening my basement window and turning off the heat (very scientifically accurate I know).

I put the gelatin in cold water for 10 minutes, then heated to 170 for 10 minutes. When it cooled down to around 100, I added it to the carboy and stirred gently. I never disturbed the trub too much.

I went back and took a peak 4 or 5 days later and the beer is uber cloudy (worse than before) and there is a thin layer of bubbles on top of the carboy, with airlock activity.

Has anyone else experienced this when using Gelatin in the primary?? I guess I am playing the waiting game now...

Old 10-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Could be you just stirred up some yeast that had flocculated out too quickly, and they picked up on some remaining fermentables. What yeast did you use?

Old 10-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, sounds much more like restirred yeast and perhaps some co2 coming out of solution than renewed ferment. Unless of course, you used flavored sweetened gelatin? JK

That gelatin can capture bubbles and start to look nasty on top. Can be scary if you are not expecting it.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
middleofnowhere
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I pretty clueless, but I know I used unflavoured knox gelatin....lol

I used Danstar Windsor Dry Yeast.