Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Cold crash bottling problem

Old 10-11-2009, 04:08 AM   #1
stillwater
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Cold crash bottling problem

Hi all,
So I have a bottling problem. I cold crash all of the beer I brew pre-bottling and that tends to work fine, good carbonation. The last few beers I have made have been with the CL-50 yeast (love it), which when crashed really settles out. In the future I will repitch some dry yeast for bottling but my question is what to do with the first batch sitting flat in bottles? Do I dump it, empty the bottles back into a carboy and repitch bottling yeast? Any advice from anyone who has gone through this before would be great.
Thanks

Old 10-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Kraghed
Recipes 

If you are going to empty them into a carboy make sure you pour down the side to minimize oxygen exposure. I tried this once and while the beer wasn't ruined, it didn't quite have the same flavor as earlier batches.

I had a brew buddy bottle 5 gallons that had sat for at least 3 months in his secondary. After bottling it never did carbonate. What we did on his case was crack open the bottles and add a SMALL pinch of dry yeast (no more than ten little granules). After recapping he let them condition for a few weeks. This worked beautifully. I had tasted one prior to this and wasn't able to really tell a difference after.

A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her.
W.C. Fields

Kegged: Russian Imperial Stout - Belgian Dark Strong - Vanilla Mead - American/Belgian Ale

Old 10-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
stillwater
Recipes 

Perfect, this was the info I was looking for. A pinch of dry yeast per bottle, I knew I would put that Nottingham to good use. You may have saved my first tasty wet hop ale.
Pat