perfect brew pot size? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > perfect brew pot size?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2009, 02:49 AM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
SIDNEY, ohio
Posts: 3,526
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts



Ok guys I sell cookware for a living, and occasionally I will get wholesale catalogues from other companies wanting me to add some of their stuff to the line I sell.I only sell products fron one company and my company does not carry anything huge as it is in home kitchen use stuff....anyway I was looking through a catalogue today and I can get pots from this company anywhere from 16 gallons ---10 gallons----8 gallons---5...on down to small pans. All are stainless steel and fairly heavy construction....OK what size should I be looking at?


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethepoolguy View Post
I started brewing 69 days ago, 35 gal so far. SWMBO hasnt complained yet! Better than the hookers, gambling, and crack I used to do, I guess.
BALDGUT BREWS

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:08 AM   #2
Orangevango
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Posts: 596
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


id go for the 16.

it allows you to go up to 10 gallon batches if you want.

lets you do 5 gallon batches super comfortably.


__________________
Visit my Hop Farm on Facebook

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:11 AM   #3
ajwillys
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Holly Springs, NC
Posts: 1,296
Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevango View Post
id go for the 16.

it allows you to go up to 10 gallon batches if you want.

lets you do 5 gallon batches super comfortably.
Yep and yep. Go for 16.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:16 AM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
SIDNEY, ohio
Posts: 3,526
Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts


damn...gonna have to hire a crew just to move it around!!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethepoolguy View Post
I started brewing 69 days ago, 35 gal so far. SWMBO hasnt complained yet! Better than the hookers, gambling, and crack I used to do, I guess.
BALDGUT BREWS

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:03 AM   #5
Freddy57
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Posts: 83
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I have a 15 gallon pot and it works perfectly for 5 or 10 gallon batches. It's aluminum so it's not so heavy to move around. I can't lift it when it's full but then, I don't need to.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:54 AM   #6
Nokitchen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Nokitchen's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
New York, NY
Posts: 71
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangevango View Post
id go for the 16.

it allows you to go up to 10 gallon batches if you want.

lets you do 5 gallon batches super comfortably.
Extract or all-grain? I'm finding that my "five-gallon" batches, which are closer to three with all-grain, are evaporating too much in my 40-quart pot. The resulting wort is very heavy, hard to work with and sometimes even carmelizes slightly on the bottom. God forbid if I try to make a long-boil brew like a Dogfish 90 clone. I'm thinking of downsizing for standard-batch extract brews.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #7
Freddy57
Recipes 
 
Mar 2008
Posts: 83
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokitchen View Post
Extract or all-grain? I'm finding that my "five-gallon" batches, which are closer to three with all-grain, are evaporating too much in my 40-quart pot. The resulting wort is very heavy, hard to work with and sometimes even carmelizes slightly on the bottom. God forbid if I try to make a long-boil brew like a Dogfish 90 clone. I'm thinking of downsizing for standard-batch extract brews.
Maybe collecting a little more wort would help you. For a 5 gallon batch, I start with 8.5 gallons of wort and finish at about 5.5. That way I don't wind up with LME when I'm done.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
Nokitchen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Nokitchen's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
New York, NY
Posts: 71
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy57 View Post
Maybe collecting a little more wort would help you. For a 5 gallon batch, I start with 8.5 gallons of wort and finish at about 5.5. That way I don't wind up with LME when I'm done.
Oh heck. I typoed exactly the opposite of what I meant to say. Of course I meant that little liquid with extract, not all grain. Doh!

At any rate, I'm learning to ignore the extract recipies on the subject of water levels.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
RC0032
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Chicago
Posts: 1,133
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts


Cost of 16 gal pot for good friends on here?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
TexLaw's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,672
Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts


A 10-gallon kettle is plenty for my 5-gallon batches and does not carry extra cost (or weight or space or possible boil-off problems, depending on the width). However, the 16-gallon would be the one to have if you want to do 10-gallon batches.


TL


__________________
Beer is good for anything from hot dogs to heartache.

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Was hoping for a perfect brew day, but... LarryC Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 09-19-2009 08:00 PM
Perfect Brew Day! Dloucks General Beer Discussion 1 01-10-2009 03:36 AM
So close to the perfect brew day Grinder12000 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 09-22-2008 12:33 AM
Perfect Home brew setup on CL Brentk14 Equipment/Sanitation 3 04-01-2008 07:34 PM
Perfect Brew Day!!...? Reverend JC General Beer Discussion 4 05-27-2007 07:44 PM


Forum Jump