Orange peel and coriander seed in fermenter - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Orange peel and coriander seed in fermenter

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2009, 04:23 AM   #1
swindsor
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
norman,ok
Posts: 10


Hello,
I am semi new to this. I am on my 5th batch and recently brewed a hoegaarden clone with some orange peel and coriander seeds. I have a conical fermenter and have been dumping the trub and I am now ready to bottle. I noticed there is a lot of debri floating around from the spices. I was wondering if there is a way to leave this behind and not get it into the bottling wand and thus into the bottles. Sorry if this has been mentioned before. Any help would be appreciated.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:44 AM   #2
android
 
android's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Ames, Iowa
Posts: 3,062
Liked 44 Times on 35 Posts


are you bottling from the conical?
__________________
primary: APA

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:44 AM   #3
Kungpaodog
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Lafayette, CO
Posts: 494
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Welcome to the forum!!

When I made a Coriander/Orange Zest Wheat all of my spice had settled to the bottom and I left them behind with the rest of the trub, I would imagine that you could siphon off from underneath anything that is floating into a bottling bucket. The only drawback is that the "angel's share" may be a bit higher for this batch, but a sacrifice to the brew-gods is always worth the beer blessing, right?
__________________
Kelpie Home Brewery, Lafayette Colorado
Primary: Creek Dog Stout x2, Two Dogs IPA, Grinning Kelpie Wheat
Secondary: empty :(
In Bottles: Belgian Wheat

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:44 AM   #4
Kungpaodog
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Lafayette, CO
Posts: 494
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


d'oh.......

Reason: double post

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:45 AM   #5
swindsor
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
norman,ok
Posts: 10

at this point i could do either. i assumed that siphoning to the bottling bucket would be the right move. i am open to suggestions

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:51 AM   #6
LoboViejo
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Mexicali, BajaCalifornia
Posts: 13
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Hello amigos! I am a bit concerned ( and who begineer is not!) about my first batch of a Bluemoon clone, first as you know, the smell makes you think you got it infected, and I did not understand the instructions about to stir or not the corianser seeds and the orange peels before going to first fermenter, so I just let them floating there.. after 2 weeks I opened and got dissapointed because of the look of the yeast, I thought it was infected somehow.
I racked it leaving all solids behind, and the color was fine, identical to a Bluemoon, but when I tasted it, it was all spicy and bitter..kind of awful......(I used 3/4 oz of coriander and 1 oz orange peel for a 5glls batch)
My questions are:
a) for how long do you recommend to leave it on 2nd fermenter?
b) for how long do you recommend to have it bottled?
c) is the bad taste (bitter) going to improve after some time?

Thank you all!

MattsFlyShop Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #7
carsonwarstler
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Posts: 120
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by swindsor
Hello,
I am semi new to this. I am on my 5th batch and recently brewed a hoegaarden clone with some orange peel and coriander seeds. I have a conical fermenter and have been dumping the trub and I am now ready to bottle. I noticed there is a lot of debri floating around from the spices. I was wondering if there is a way to leave this behind and not get it into the bottling wand and thus into the bottles. Sorry if this has been mentioned before. Any help would be appreciated.
No high tech answer for this but I'd think a strainer bag or nylon hop bag could be placed somewhere in line between your vessel and your bottle. For example, when I rack from my secondary (carboy) after dry hopping (I let loose hops float in carboy), I use an auto siphon and just sanitize a hop bag and zip tie, then zip tie the bag around the bottom of my siphon. Simple and has never clogged anything up for me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
MattsFlyShop
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Sparks, Nevada
Posts: 47


I just did the same brew yesterday, one thing that I heard from an experienced brewer is that you want to make sure the Orange Peels are skin side down and floated on top after racked into the second fermentor, the fleshy sides tend to make it bitter...
what yeast did you use? I used the self activating WYEAST brand for the Belgian Wit... I don't have much activity yet 24 hrs after brewing, the Ales I've done started up after just a few hours so I'm wondering if this is normal or maybe I didn't aerate properly? additionally it was sitting at about 63* what is a recommended fermentation temp?
Thanks

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #9
WarWeazl
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Posts: 3


Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsFlyShop View Post
I just did the same brew yesterday, one thing that I heard from an experienced brewer is that you want to make sure the Orange Peels are skin side down and floated on top after racked into the second fermentor, the fleshy sides tend to make it bitter...
what yeast did you use? I used the self activating WYEAST brand for the Belgian Wit... I don't have much activity yet 24 hrs after brewing, the Ales I've done started up after just a few hours so I'm wondering if this is normal or maybe I didn't aerate properly? additionally it was sitting at about 63* what is a recommended fermentation temp?
Thanks

Did you allow the smack pack to expand? Did you make a starter. I usually make a yeast starter even when using a smack pack. 63* is a good temperature if you can maintain it by not letting it dip down into the 50s.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:07 AM   #10
MattsFlyShop
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Sparks, Nevada
Posts: 47


Quote:
Originally Posted by WarWeazl

Did you allow the smack pack to expand? Did you make a starter. I usually make a yeast starter even when using a smack pack. 63* is a good temperature if you can maintain it by not letting it dip down into the 50s.
It expanded a bit, but I popped it, shook it and poured it, Guess I rushed that part, but it was room temp when I did it.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to add orange peel and coriander seed Goldsbeer Recipes/Ingredients 23 11-28-2016 10:37 PM
Coriander and Orange Peel BrewProject Recipes/Ingredients 38 06-22-2011 02:29 AM
Orange Pale Ale with Coriander Seed Kilbrew Recipes/Ingredients 2 10-31-2009 12:19 AM
Orange Peel and Coriander noisy123 Recipes/Ingredients 4 07-16-2008 04:34 AM
Coriander seeds and orange peel crown_cres Recipes/Ingredients 10 04-27-2007 03:47 AM


Forum Jump