Autumn Seasonal Beer Samhain Pumpkin Ale - Page 57 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Autumn Seasonal Beer Samhain Pumpkin Ale

Old 10-30-2013, 03:35 AM   #561
smagic14

Recipes 

Jun 2013
Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts

Was a great brew day and even better tasting day!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20131029_223544.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	157045  

Good thing the Badgers play at 11 so I don't feel bad having a drink at 8AM

You can't drink all Day if you don't start early!

Old 11-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #562
StoutNoDoubt
Recipes 

Apr 2013
Houston, Texas
Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts

I'm officially all out I could make some more!

Old 03-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #563
smijo
Recipes 

Feb 2013

I made a batch of this back in October and it wasn't drinkable right away. Something was off about it. I left it in the basement until last week and I cracked one open. It was super clear, and smelled of pumpkin, but it was a little sour. There isn't a pellicle forming in any of the bottles or anything though. Anyways, it's absolutely delicious. I never thought a sour pumpkin beer would be any good. The problem is that I don't know where bacteria was introduced. Possibly in the bottling bucket because kegged beers off of the system have been fine. I'll be brewing this beer again to see what happens next time.

Maybe it's time to purposely turn this recipe sour.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:14 AM   #564
novafire
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Verona, WI
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smijo View Post
I made a batch of this back in October and it wasn't drinkable right away. Something was off about it. I left it in the basement until last week and I cracked one open. It was super clear, and smelled of pumpkin, but it was a little sour. There isn't a pellicle forming in any of the bottles or anything though. Anyways, it's absolutely delicious. I never thought a sour pumpkin beer would be any good. The problem is that I don't know where bacteria was introduced. Possibly in the bottling bucket because kegged beers off of the system have been fine. I'll be brewing this beer again to see what happens next time.

Maybe it's time to purposely turn this recipe sour.
I sometimes get a sour note from using pumpkin. Especially when the beer finishes drier than I'd like.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:39 PM   #565
mhayes
Recipes 

Feb 2013

I liked your general idea, but I wanted to put my own spin on things. I made a 10 gallon batch. I used 16lbs of leftover Holloween pumpkins that I roasted. My 10 gallon cooler will not hold all the grain and the pumpkin, so I mashed the pumpkin up and boiled it separately. I got 4 gallons of pumpkin wort that I added to the boil. I used a strainer to get it all out. I added amber Belgian candi sugar (2lbs) to the boil.

I cold conditioned the beer after fermentation, and it cleared up nicely. The spices are there but what you taste is malt and pumpkin, not an overwhelming spice profile. My suggestion is to load up the pumpkin like crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 05-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #566
Heff
Recipes 

Feb 2014
Frederick, Colorado

I'm want to try this recipe but my set up is BIAB. I have a little concern with the pumpkin plugging my bag and not letting all the sugars out. does anybody have some suggestions or thoughts?

Old 05-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #567
spam_and_eggs
Recipes 

Jul 2013
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I feel like it shouldn't be a problem for BIAB. If it works with normal lautering it seems like it should work with a bag. If you don't already, you may want to sparge your BIAB just to make sure you get the sugars out. And use a finer crush. I forgot to ask my LHBS to double crush on my last BIAB brew and my efficiency dropped almost 15%. It turned my expected 4.2% session IPA in to a VERY VERY session IPA

Old 05-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #568
Heff
Recipes 

Feb 2014
Frederick, Colorado

Ok thanks I'll rember that.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #569
kvedderman
Recipes 

Jul 2014

What molasses did you use? I have a green label one and a yellow labeled one.
Green=robust yellow=original... We use the robust to make gingerbread cookies and it is Fantastic!! So i'm thinking that one..

thanks for posting this it looks delicious!

Old 08-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #570
mhayes
Recipes 

Feb 2013

I would just mash the pumpkin separately and use a big strainer to get the wort out. A side benefit of this is that you can put the pumpkin in a casserole dish and bake it later for your supper. More or less, when you are doing a pumpkin beer you have to do a double mash. As for molasses, I use the yellow kind that you can get at the regular grocery store. I'm sure that the dark molasses has a good flavor as well however the idea is to highlight the pumpkin more than anything else. I'm writing this in the month of August now and it is really making me look forward to the cool weather when pumpkins are available.