Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Samhain Pumpkin Ale

Old 10-01-2012, 11:53 PM   #441
KingBrianI
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 17

By the way, if anyone is interested in how my imperial version came out, I'm drinking some right now. It's really nice. If you remember, I took the recipe and added enough golden promise to get the og to like 1.078 or something. I then added 1/8 teaspoon of McCormick Vanilla Butter and Nut extract at kegging. The result is a really decadent pumpkin ale along the lines of Southern Tier's Imperial Pumking, but with more malt complexity, more body, more pumpkin flavor and a slightly darker color. I'm entering it into a local comp to see what the judges think. I'm pretty sure it is going to blow their minds!

Old 10-02-2012, 12:16 AM   #442
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wow - I am still 'aging' my original recipe. I just haven't gotten it into rotation in the 3 tap keezer yet and wanted to save enough for Halloween.... Hmmm. Maybe I should brew another batch this weekend.... King - what is your grain to glass time on this brew?

Old 10-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #443
weesm
Recipes 

Great to hear about the imperial version! Thats a definite version of this brew I would try next year.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:27 AM   #444
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBrewin View Post
Wow - I am still 'aging' my original recipe. I just haven't gotten it into rotation in the 3 tap keezer yet and wanted to save enough for Halloween.... Hmmm. Maybe I should brew another batch this weekend.... King - what is your grain to glass time on this brew?
Haha, it's been 3 weeks and a couple days since I brewed this last batch and I'm drinking it right now. It's not completely carbed yet, but tastes great. I've found that when I pitch a proper amount of healthy yeast, and control fermentation temperatures with an iron fist, I can go from grain to glass in less than 3 weeks. My current fermentation schedule is typically 7 days at ferment temps (usually low 60s controlled by a temperature controller attached directly to the fermentation bucket in a chest freezer) then a crash cool to between 32 and 43 degrees for another 7 days. Then I keg it, and let it start to carbonate at serving pressure (or sometimes slightly higher if I'm impatient). I'll be drinking and enjoying it within a week in most cases.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #445
rexbanner
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBrewin View Post
If it makes a diff, my pumpkin ale recipe is very similar and I am drinking it right now 7 days later. It is one of the best beers I've tasted. I used about 1/3 of the spices and 1968 yeast. Fullers strain is fast.

Crooked Run Brewing: Traditional ales, local ingredients

Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #446
OCBrewin
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
My current fermentation schedule is typically 7 days at ferment temps (usually low 60s controlled by a temperature controller attached directly to the fermentation bucket in a chest freezer) then a crash cool to between 32 and 43 degrees for another 7 days. Then I keg it, and let it start to carbonate at serving pressure (or sometimes slightly higher if I'm impatient). I'll be drinking and enjoying it within a week in most cases.
Cool. I got my first dedicated fermentation freezer set up about a week ago. I used to unhook the kegs from the keezer, pull them out, reset the temp to fermentation temps and then reverse the process every time I wanted to serve. Controlling these temps (60-65) for most of my beers has really sped up my process too. I keep sneaking samples of the Samhain and its def. getting better and better. This is one that can really stand up to some mellowing and aging - even if it doesn't [I]need[I] it. I am thinking of dosing the keg with 1 tsp of homemade vanilla extract (bean steeped in vodka for 3 weeks) to really bring home the pumpkin pie flavor.

Looks like imperial is next.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #447
Mountainlivin
Recipes 

I kegged 5 gal, and bottled the rest 4 days ago. I just cracked open a bottle to see how it is coming along and Wow! My friends and family are going to love me. Thanks! I don't know if this will last until Thanksgiving.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:36 AM   #448
weesm
Recipes 

Just made some pumpkin beer floats with vanilla ice cream and this beer. So awesome! Talk about a SWMBO killer!

Old 10-05-2012, 10:54 AM   #449
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesm View Post
Just made some pumpkin beer floats with vanilla ice cream and this beer. So awesome! Talk about a SWMBO killer!
Hows the clove flavor coming?

Old 10-06-2012, 01:44 AM   #450
jscovill
Recipes 

Laying here working on a bottle of Blue Moon pumpkin ale. Saw it and had to try it for the sake of comparison. Gotta say, mine is better!