Autumn Seasonal Beer Samhain Pumpkin Ale - Page 42 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Autumn Seasonal Beer Samhain Pumpkin Ale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #411
milesvdustin
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 630
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts


So to make the original recipe a ten gallon batch do I just double everything? Sorry for the noob question I searched the thread and don't know personally!


__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsethall View Post
It's like a big hot douche for my brewery.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #412
KingBrianI
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Durham, NC
Posts: 3,514
Liked 107 Times on 69 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by milesvdustin View Post
So to make the original recipe a ten gallon batch do I just double everything? Sorry for the noob question I searched the thread and don't know personally!
The original recipe is for 5.5 gallons, so you can double it to make 11. If you double it and only make 10, you'll come in high on gravity and the IBUs will be off.


__________________
I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:08 AM   #413
milesvdustin
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Pensacola, Florida
Posts: 630
Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts


Yeah I meant 11, I always do 5.5 to account for equipment and trub losses. Ten gallons final.

Does one have to use fawcett brand stuff or will any brand of the right grain do?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsethall View Post
It's like a big hot douche for my brewery.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #414
KingBrianI
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Durham, NC
Posts: 3,514
Liked 107 Times on 69 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by milesvdustin View Post
Yeah I meant 11, I always do 5.5 to account for equipment and trub losses. Ten gallons final.

Does one have to use fawcett brand stuff or will any brand of the right grain do?
Any brand will do.
__________________
I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #415
GearJammer
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Arvada, Colorado
Posts: 51
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBrianI View Post
I mentioned it a couple weeks ago but my plan for this year's version of Samhain Pumpkin Ale is going to get the imperial treatment. I'm also going to add a bit of vanilla butter and nut flavoring at kegging to get something along the lines of ST Pumking. The starter of WY1450 is spinning away on the stir plate right now and I bought a sack of golden promise todayso not only will I have enough for this beer, but for lots of sweet golden promise beers in the next couple months!
What were you going to do to the spices for an imperial version? I was thinking of making this with an OG of 1.075 or so, and using WY1968, but I don't know if the alcohol and malt increase will dwarf the spices.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:49 AM   #416
KingBrianI
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Durham, NC
Posts: 3,514
Liked 107 Times on 69 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by GearJammer View Post
What were you going to do to the spices for an imperial version? I was thinking of making this with an OG of 1.075 or so, and using WY1968, but I don't know if the alcohol and malt increase will dwarf the spices.
Leave the spicing the same if you want a subtle, well-balanced spice. If you want a more over-the-top spiciness, you can up the amounts, but I'm leaving it the same for my imperial samhain ale.
__________________
I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:59 PM   #417
Bamsdealer
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Collegeville, Pa
Posts: 911
Liked 44 Times on 41 Posts


Picked up the ingredients for this today. One issue though... I got a lb of MO separate, but realized they crushed them when I asked for uncrushed. Should I toast them uncrushed or just roll with the MO as is. Thoughts?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:23 AM   #418
bottlebomber
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,345
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsdealer
Picked up the ingredients for this today. One issue though... I got a lb of MO separate, but realized they crushed them when I asked for uncrushed. Should I toast them uncrushed or just roll with the MO as is. Thoughts?
I toasted mine crushed(had no mill at the time). It worked great. If anything it probably enhances the flavor since the flour is toasted too and not just the husk.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:54 AM   #419
idigg
Recipes 
 
Dec 2010
West Allis, WI
Posts: 397
Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts


I'd agree, I did toast my MO unmilled, but it should be fine crushed. Throw it in a brown paper bag and roll it up so no bugs can get in and keep the flavors in, it'll still breath. I can't wait to try this beer in 5 weeks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:32 AM   #420
Bamsdealer
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Collegeville, Pa
Posts: 911
Liked 44 Times on 41 Posts


Sounds good to me. Really wish I had bought something other than US-05. They didn't have the Denny's Favorite



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samhain Pumpkin Pie Ale kchomebrew Recipes/Ingredients 11 07-11-2014 01:09 AM
Pumpkin Spiced - Samhain Mead voicelex Mead Forum 3 01-04-2013 04:21 AM
Just started KingBrianI Samhain Pumpkin Ale. OBayBrewer Recipes/Ingredients 0 12-04-2012 10:55 AM
samhain recipes paithian General Beer Discussion 2 09-12-2012 12:28 AM
All Grain Samhain and IPA's Firebat138 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 11-01-2011 01:05 PM


Forum Jump