Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Rekegging store bought keg

Old 10-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Soc
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Rekegging store bought keg

Last weekend for my birthday, my family surprised me with a party and a keg of Miller Lite (I know, most of you might think it is nasty, but it's the family light beer of choice). We did a pretty good job on the keg but there is still about 1/3 of it remaining. My girlfriend paid for the keg and is now a little low on cash and wants to return the shell for the $50 deposit. We don't want to waste the beer left in the keg so I was thinking about emptying it into one of my empty corny kegs and putting some CO2 on it. Has anyone ever tried this? If this is a terrible idea please just let me know, I have never tried anything like this before, was just thinking that maybe it would work.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
johnnyc
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

How did you dispense the Miller? With a party pump or hooked up to CO2? If you pumped it with a party pump it was sucking air into the keg the entire time. If thats what you did the beer is probably done for. If on CO2 I guess you can transfer it but I'm not sure how you would do it, probably have to pull the pickup and use a siphon.

Fermenting: Yooper's Oktoberfest

Old 10-08-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3028 Times on 2934 Posts
Likes Given: 149

you could hook the hap to you beer in post on a corny, but like johnny said, only if it was a co2 tap. A hand pump tap and the beer is done, just return it and let the distributor clean it out.
If transferring to a corny, I would vent the pressure a few times, then push it over a 2-3 psi. It really depends on the tap that is/was hooked up to it.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 10-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1342 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'd put money on hand pump. When someone that doesn't know much about beer and wants to surprise someone with a keg at a party, they grab a keg and handpump from the liquor store. I wouldn't drink that beer 2 days later, nevermind from last weekend.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #5
johnnyc
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

A little but I recently drained a keg to make a kettle and I can't imagine what it tasted like. Its been in my hot garage for 3 1/2 years.

Fermenting: Yooper's Oktoberfest

Old 10-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 268

I know from my college days that if you used a hand pump to dispense that beer last weekend it will be so skunked and nasty by now that have to stand back while draining it into the bushes to prevent yourself from gagging.

No use transferring it. For you trouble to transfer it you could go and pony up for a another keg.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
bronzdragon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd go ahead and do it. It'll probably be exposed to O2 and not taste the best, but it will still be drinkable and you won't waste it, and she can get her cash back. I'd attach a length of hose to the picnic tap that would go down pretty far in your keg, and just start dispensing to reduce foam.

~r~

Old 10-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #8
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

It's going to taste like the stale beer smell you get when you walk into a baseball park or the night after a party.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:23 AM   #9
Budd0413
Recipes 

I've done this and it works fine. If you drinking miller lite your probably not gonna notice any difference anyway. It worked for me (I was drinking old mil: haha)

Old 10-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #10
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

there's only one thing worse that I can imagine than drinking Miller Lite from a keg. That is drinking heavily oxidized Miller Lite from a week old force-oxidized keg. Just the thought of it is making me gag a little.

I used to tend bar in college and I remember to this day the smell of Miller lite first coming from an unoxidized keg on Sunday morning. Just that aroma made my hangover much worse.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.