Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > backsweeting/cold crashing
Old 10-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 133 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Yes - you'll be fine.

I go straight from the first cold crash to bottles all the time - on most of my experimental one gallon batches, and never had a problem. But it wouldnt hurt to wait a few days, just to make sure the crash is really complete. OTOH, even if you dont nail the crash completely, you will have slowed the yeast down to the point where, if it does ferment, it will do so veerrry slowly - probably more slowly than you can drink it if you only have a gallon.

You may not even need to wait 2-3 days on the crash if you use ice. My friend who used the ice bucket got his beautifully clear in just a day. Probably because his crash temp was colder than mine

Old 10-08-2009, 10:54 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

The only concern I would have is if you are going to be bottling, and leaving the bottles at room temperature for a long time.
Until you know how the yeast will react it would be on the prudent side to keep the bottles in the fridge. I have never had a bottle bomb, but I have had a few corks pop out on me, no harm I just covered the top, put in the fridge and drank it a day later.
My advice and process with cider is on the side of caution. But then I also keg my cider and bottle from the keg when I think it is ready.
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.