Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > first time using secondary...few mistakes & Q's

Old 09-24-2006, 08:52 PM   #1
Wheat King
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default first time using secondary...few mistakes & Q's

well i racked my Scotch Ale (3rd batch ever) from my primary Ale pale to my new 6.5 gallon Glass Carboy. I made a few mistaks and just wanted some input as to how much, if any impact they should have on my beer.

1.) when i started my siphon, i forgot to clear out all of the sanitized solution from the tube before putting the end into my carboy. so, by the time i realized my mistake, the beer had already begun siphoning in as well. i'm guessing thats just a few ounces of sanitized solution in with my beer.

2.) with my carboy i got one f those 2-chamber bubbler airlocks. i filled the 2 chambers up to the lines, and placed it into the bunge, caried my carboy to th closet, and put it in a box to block light. when i looked down, though, the bubbler airlock was empty! the liquid must have drained into my beer somehow! so i poured some more sanitizer in to refill the bubbler...ugh.

RDWHAH, yea...but i cant help but think about nasty sanitizer tainting my beautiful beer (which tastes grrrrreat as is)

Old 09-24-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
jar

Recipes 

What kind of sanitizer?

Old 09-24-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
Wheat King

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar
What kind of sanitizer?
B-T-F Iodophor Sanitizer (Odorless - Tasteles or so it says)

Old 09-24-2006, 10:46 PM   #4
magno

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

It shouldnt ruin the batch. This will just remind you not to do it again.

- magno

Old 09-25-2006, 12:22 AM   #5
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I learned the way you did to fill the airlock once the carboy is in its final resting place.