Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > low original gravity?

Old 09-24-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
aweks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default low original gravity?

I have just finished brewing a pumpkin ale...smells great! However my original gravity reading is only 1.036. This seems low. I used 9 lbs of various grains and about 7 lbs of pumpkin for a 5 gallon batch. I guess pumpkin doesn't yield as much sugar as I thought. Any one else run into this problem with Pumpkin, or did I just screw something up?

Old 09-24-2006, 02:43 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

The canned pumpkin I have is 10 grams carbohydrates per 130 gram serving or 7.6%. Even if it was all sugar, 7 pounds of it would yield less than 1/2 pound of sugar or 0.004 SG in a five gallon batch.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-24-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 39

But even so, 9 lbs grain should give a gravity well above that.

Can you post the actual grain you used, and the procedures, times and temperatures you used for each stage? With this information, we may be able to spot something wrong.

-a.

Old 09-25-2006, 04:34 AM   #4
aweks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf
But even so, 9 lbs grain should give a gravity well above that.

Can you post the actual grain you used, and the procedures, times and temperatures you used for each stage? With this information, we may be able to spot something wrong.

-a.
6 lbs of 2 row
1 lb of Vienna
1 lb of Belgian Caramunich
1 lb of Medium Crystal

single mash for one hour at 155 degrees. Fly sparge with 170 degree water to make approx 9 gallons of wort. Add pumpkin to wort. Boil for 60 minutes. Yields about 6 gallons. Cool with copper coil wort chiller (still takes too long...think I will buy another wort chiller, attach the two and set the first in an ice bath, and the second in the wort).

If I had to guess the problem, I can think of two things... 1) I have a cheapo Corona grain mill that is incredibly dificult to get a consistent crush. 2) I had slightly more than 9 gallons of wort while the sparge run off was still relatively dark. Usually the run off is almost clear by this time. Not sure what happened there.

All I want for Christmas is a BARLEY CRUSHER!!

Old 09-25-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
jcarson83

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

I had the same problem with the pumpkin I did a few weeks ago. I think the amount of pumpkin suspended in the wort has something to do with it.

Old 09-25-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
aweks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarson83
I had the same problem with the pumpkin I did a few weeks ago. I think the amount of pumpkin suspended in the wort has something to do with it.
Awesome...misery loves company!

Have you gotten an FG yet? If so what is it? Alc./V? Type of yeast?

Old 09-25-2006, 01:11 PM   #7
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts

That is about right. Works out to 70% efficiency in Beersmith , not calculating for the pumpkin which seems neglegible according to david's calculations. Keep in mind it's 6 gallons. If it were a 5 gallon batch your OG would be about 1.045. Eff. % is a bit low, maybe try a longer, lower ph sparge.

Old 09-25-2006, 11:50 PM   #8
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Agree with ChillHayze. If the batch was 6g instead of 5, it makes a big difference.

I'm not quite sure how yo boil down from 9g to 6g in an hour. That would require some serious BTUs

-a.

Old 09-26-2006, 01:56 AM   #9
RichBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I read an article before I brewed mine that said there was no need to mash the pumpkin. There isn't enough starches to make it worthwhile. I boiled the pumpkin in the wort for 90 minutes.
My OG in ProMash matched my actual OG and the pumpkin was not calculated in ProMash. I don't think the pumpkin had much effect on the gravity in my brew.

Anyone who put the pumpkin into the mash should chime in here. What was the effect on the beer's gravity?

Old 09-26-2006, 04:52 AM   #10
aweks
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf
Agree with ChillHayze. If the batch was 6g instead of 5, it makes a big difference.

I'm not quite sure how yo boil down from 9g to 6g in an hour. That would require some serious BTUs

-a.
I have a big propane seafood boiler with 15 gallon pot. It gets up to a tremendous rolling boil. Roll baby Roll!