Ka-Boom - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ka-Boom

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2009, 02:05 AM   #1
ks_medic
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Kansas
Posts: 128


Opened the fridge the next day to check on beer. Never had a problem before so never really gave it much thought. Lesson learned the hard way. All Fermentors get blow off tubes now. It was a double stout.






After clean up and modifications

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:07 AM   #2
ChshreCat
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,533
Liked 542 Times on 434 Posts


Now....

Everyone please note how ks_medic followed proper procedure. He took pictures of the aftermath FIRST and THEN he cleaned it up!

Nicely done!
__________________
"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
homebrewer_99
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,792
Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts


I'm glad you rearranged the shelving also. Much more organized.
__________________
HB Bill

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:23 AM   #4
Tripod
 
Tripod's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Atlanta, GA
Posts: 642
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


From double stout to double mess! Glad that lesson wasn't any worse for you...

-Tripod
__________________
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced...

Primary: First AG Batch! - Irish Red | Bottle: Oatmeal Stout| Drinking: Nearcastle II... | Up Next: It may be time to try a lager

5/2012

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:57 AM   #5
phatuna
 
phatuna's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
San Diego
Posts: 794
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Now....

Everyone please note how ks_medic followed proper procedure. He took pictures of the aftermath FIRST and THEN he cleaned it up!

Nicely done!
Yes, way to keep your head straight. Pics then cleanup

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:12 AM   #6
MBasile
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Austin, TX
Posts: 1,537
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Now....

Everyone please note how ks_medic followed proper procedure. He took pictures of the aftermath FIRST and THEN he cleaned it up!

Nicely done!


(10 characters)
__________________
Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:36 AM   #7
ks_medic
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Kansas
Posts: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
I'm glad you rearranged the shelving also. Much more organized.

yeah figured it was as good a time as any to reorganize. the weight of the 2 caryboys caused the bottom shelf to crack a little and slant inward.
I always use fermcap-s in my fermentation bottle. So i've never worried about blow off. apparently I didn't add enough to this one.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #8
TinmanDan
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Chicago Surburbs
Posts: 33

Just a couple thoughts from my own experience:

First, I'd recommend getting a blowoff tube that's the same diameter as the opening of the carboy, so you don't have to mess with a stopper, and so the blowoff has more room. Your little blowoff tube could get clogged with foam as easily as an airlock. I did a high-gravity beer once where the krausen pushed halfway into the blowoff tube. Very messy.

Second, it appears that the milk jug that the tube goes to is capped. If you do this, drill holes in the top of the jug (not the cap) so the CO2 can vent out of the jug. Otherwise, the pressure could build up and rupture your jug. Again, messy.

Feel free to do what you will, but in my humble opinion, a couple extra steps will save you more cleanup in the future.
__________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Primary: AG Russian Imperial Stout
Secondary: Nothing
Conditioning: Spiced Winter Ale, Tongue Splitter
Drinking: CA Imperial Pale Ale II, Dry Irish Stout, ESB
On Deck: AG Kitchen Sink Porter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:43 AM   #9
ks_medic
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Kansas
Posts: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinmanDan View Post
Just a couple thoughts from my own experience:

First, I'd recommend getting a blowoff tube that's the same diameter as the opening of the carboy, so you don't have to mess with a stopper, and so the blowoff has more room. Your little blowoff tube could get clogged with foam as easily as an airlock. I did a high-gravity beer once where the krausen pushed halfway into the blowoff tube. Very messy.
were would i find a tube big enough to go over the opening of a Better bottle? Seems like that would be a huge tube.


Quote:
Second, it appears that the milk jug that the tube goes to is capped. If you do this, drill holes in the top of the jug (not the cap) so the CO2 can vent out of the jug. Otherwise, the pressure could build up and rupture your jug. Again, messy.
Yeah when i first used the milk jug it started to deform real quick so i punched a few hole up top. Didn't want a repeat of before.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:44 AM   #10
ChshreCat
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,533
Liked 542 Times on 434 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ks_medic View Post
were would i find a tube big enough to go over the opening of a Better bottle? Seems like that would be a huge tube.
He's referring to one with an outside diameter to match the inside diameter of the better bottle opening. I'm not sure what that diameter is, but lots of folks on here seem to have them.
__________________
"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another BOOM!! ksuflash General Beer Discussion 3 06-17-2008 06:34 PM
Boom!!! SomedumbJerk General Beer Discussion 17 05-19-2008 02:22 AM
Boom Boom What If???? mrb Recipes/Ingredients 3 06-11-2007 08:56 PM
Boom-Boom Hefeweisen Exo Recipes/Ingredients 11 09-07-2006 01:05 AM
Boom-Boom vanilla overpowering? skifast1 Recipes/Ingredients 9 06-28-2006 01:32 PM


Forum Jump