Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Help selecting hops

Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
Stoopidwon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Help selecting hops

I'm trying my hand a brewing a very light in color ale. Probably a pale ale, or a blonde. Have found a Yakima blond recipe that looks great, I'm a nOOb and unfortunatly hav'nt tried differant hops. Would i be wise to just follow the recipe or could I replace the Yakima hops with something else. I'm sure I should be answering some questions in advance but again hops are foreign to me right now....please advice would be appreciated...

Mad One Legged Hopps Brewing
ON DECK:Shae-dy-day Brown, Outmeal Stout

PRIMARY:

SECONDARY 1:

SECONDARY 2:

BOTTLED: Irish Red, Copper Ale (2), Hanks Hefeweizen (2), Yakima Blonde, Oatmeal Stout

Old 10-06-2009, 12:21 AM   #2
Julohan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

On the wiki, it says a good substitute is chinook. When you are changing to different hops it will give you different aromas, and taste. So, if you want to change the hops, may have a different tasting beer than the recipe you are following.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Stoopidwon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks julohan

PRIMARY:

SECONDARY 1:

SECONDARY 2:

BOTTLED: Irish Red, Copper Ale (2), Hanks Hefeweizen (2), Yakima Blonde, Oatmeal Stout

Old 10-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Stoopidwon: you are probably talking about my Yakima Blonde. You can change the hops, but be sure you keep the same ibus if you want to replicate it the way i made it. Otherwise you could adjust it to your preferences (i.e. more hoppy, more malty)

Julohan: That is VERY strange that Chinook would replace Yakima Goldings. As far as i know Chinook is very intense bitterness with piney/citrusy notes. Yakima goldings are English golding hops, cultivated in Washington.

As far as a substitute Stoopidwon, I would say East Kent Goldings, Fuggles, Willamette. You could also use noble hops such as Hallertau, Tettnang, Saaz, Spalt
Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 10-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
Stoopidwon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Dave i was hoping you would chime in on this because it is your recipe. I'm picking up the stuff and gonna brew next weekend. Im excited for this one....have you tried a late malt addition on this one to give it a really light appearance (a few friends are scared of the "dark" beer) so i am brewing my first yellow beer

PRIMARY:

SECONDARY 1:

SECONDARY 2:

Old 10-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
BrewRI
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Are there any sites that give a quick summary of the characteristics of different hops? I'm in class so I can't really search thoroughly but would appreciate the help.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoopidwon View Post
Dave i was hoping you would chime in on this because it is your recipe. I'm picking up the stuff and gonna brew next weekend. Im excited for this one....have you tried a late malt addition on this one to give it a really light appearance (a few friends are scared of the "dark" beer) so i am brewing my first yellow beer
This was actually my first extract beer that i use a late malt addition. I belive i added about 30% of the malt at 60 min. and 70% at 15min. something like that. LMA will definately lighten the color. I'm actually brewing 15 gallons of this as AG in the next month. I was really tempted to bump up the grain bill and make it an IPA but the funds arent all there. This beer costs less than $20 to brew AG. I'll report back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewRI View Post
Are there any sites that give a quick summary of the characteristics of different hops? I'm in class so I can't really search thoroughly but would appreciate the help.
Here is BYO They had an issue that had a chart with virtually every hop. I forget which one though. I know it had a HUGE pic of a hop on the cover.
Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 10-06-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
Stoopidwon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That is a great list thanks dave, very very helpful

PRIMARY:

SECONDARY 1:

SECONDARY 2:

Old 10-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No problem, let me know how the brew turns out and what hops you use!

Old 10-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
Stoopidwon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Most deffinatly will do.

PRIMARY:

SECONDARY 1:

SECONDARY 2: