Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Another Possible Infection Question? (pics)

Old 10-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
dblalock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Another Possible Infection Question? (pics)

Hello,
This is my fourth batch to brew and I just haven't seen this before. It just doesn't seem like white belongs in beer?

On Saturday I started brewing this Dunkelweiss. By Saturday morning fermentation was raging. I had to switch from an airlock to blowoff, which is still on there. Now that it has calmed down a bit I am starting to notice this white color around the top of the carboy. These pictures kind o show it..

Thanks

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/a...k/P1011109.jpg

Old 10-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
beretta
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Probably just yeast blobs...

Old 10-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
phrogpilot73
Loving the hobby
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Looks like a ginormous krauzen that has fallen to me... For what it's worth, my Best Bitter looks the same way (this is the same batch that looked the same). Tastes fine.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2869 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

That's just the remnants of krauzen drying on the inside of your carboy...Remember you had a blow off...the krausen (with hop gunk) rode all the way out the top of your carboy...and when the krausen began to fall it just leaves a mess behind on the glass...Perfectly normal....

Relax!

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-05-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
dblalock
Recipes 

Thanks guys!
This is my first time to ferment in glass. So I guess I'm paying a bit too much attention.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblalock View Post
Thanks guys!
This is my first time to ferment in glass. So I guess I'm paying a bit too much attention.
Yeah it's pretty comment to relatively new brewers to freak out when they ferment in glass for the first time, they never realized that in the opaque world of their buckets, just how UGLY normal fermentation really is.

You wouldn't believe the numbers of new brewers who have posted perfectly normal krauzen pictures, thinking that gnarly brown stuff on top, is an infection.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-05-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I was just thinking that I am glad I am using a thick bucket...if I saw that stuff I'd wanna pour it out and swear off of beer forever

Old 10-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSTEVE View Post
I was just thinking that I am glad I am using a thick bucket...if I saw that stuff I'd wanna pour it out and swear off of beer forever
We have had a couple panic dumpers on here over the years.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:39 PM   #9
Prionburger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's definitely some trub/resin/whatever that was carried up by the krausen. I've heard it's good to have that stuff out of the beer, because it gives an unpleasant bitterness. Definitely not an infection. For me, infections haven't shown up until after bottling, where I see a white film encircling the ring of the neck.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:42 AM   #10
barthautala
Recipes 

You know I racked a batch into a secondary early. I could see some little white blobs swimming up to the top and then falling back down again in my glass. I almost tossed the whole thing.