Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > how much additional cider to carbonate? and more ?s

Old 10-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
starrfish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default how much additional cider to carbonate? and more ?s

Tried making a big batch of cider years ago... turned to apple cider vinegar on me.

Starting a small experimental 1 gal batch using pasturized apple cider and Safale US-05 and some cinnamon sticks, this week.

want a sweeter cider and don't want to back sweeten with an evil fake sugar (I can taste that stuff a mile away).

Once fermentation stops, per hydrometer, how much fresh cider should be added per gallon to get a good bottle carbonation?

How long can I expect the carbonation to take?

Would it just be better to add a bit less than a 1/4 cup of corn sugar? will this carbonate faster like in beer?

thanks in advance.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 10-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
Freezeblade
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts

IIRC we did the math out for another thread awhile back and 1/3 of a gallon of basic apple juice (1.050) per 5 gallon batch should carb it up perfect.
Aging:Public House Dry Stout, Procrastination Porter, Mr. Brown Ale, Westvleteren 12 Clone, Mead, Duvel Clone, Graham's English Cider 6-21, Belgian Draak Strong Ale, Fig Melomel, Acerglyn, Restorative Tonic Metheglyn

Old 10-05-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
starrfish
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Thanks!

Will give that a shot!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”