Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > shirron plate chiller vs. ebay plate chiller

Old 10-05-2009, 06:15 PM   #21
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5846 Times on 5084 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
I'm just going to ask this:

Why four holes? Is the cold water going inside the chiller? I thought you immersed the plate.
works similar to a CFC. Wort and water flow in opposing directions.

Old 12-08-2009, 04:22 PM   #22
knightbeer39
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I just purchased the Shirron plate chiller from morebeer, looking forward to longer using the pain-in-the-rear immersion chiller.

Those with a Shirron, have you found that it gravity flows just fine?

Old 12-08-2009, 04:53 PM   #23
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

I would highly recommend a pump but it worth a try. I have always used my Shirron Chiller with a pump. Its cool to watch the cold water flowing into the chiller some out steaming hot. Very cool things, these plate chillers. I recommend using Lil' Sparky's paint strainer hop bag as a hop filter with the chiller.

Old 12-08-2009, 07:38 PM   #24
ForRealBeer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have a Therminator and I run an ice-water slurry through it with a March pump while gravity feeds the wort through.

Filtering is a VERY smart idea.

When I am not using it, I keep it full of Saniclean at around 200PPM (at and below that is no-rinse) and before usage, backflush Star-San. Never a problem.

I've thought about using an oven for sterilizing it, but one thing concerns me is that different metals expand and cool at different rates, and it seems like baking a Terminator at very high temps would lead towards problems. YMMV, of course.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #25
knightbeer39
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
I would highly recommend a pump but it worth a try. I have always used my Shirron Chiller with a pump. Its cool to watch the cold water flowing into the chiller some out steaming hot. Very cool things, these plate chillers. I recommend using Lil' Sparky's paint strainer hop bag as a hop filter with the chiller.
unfortunately, I don't have a pump right now, so I'm going to give it a run with gravity. I use a stainless steel scrubby on the dip tub and put whole hops in muslin bags, so I should be fine for minimizing clogging.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #26
Shockerengr
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have one of the ebay variety, my method of sanitizing is similar to what i did with an immersion chiller. with about 15 minutes left in the boil, i have chiller hooked up to the pump with the wort out feeding back to the boil kettle. i then let the boiling wort flow through at a low flow for about 15 minutes to sanitize the system.

the nice thing about this method is the only thing to sanitize with starsan solution is the fermenter

Old 02-04-2010, 05:03 PM   #27
knightbeer39
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just as an update. I did purchase the shirron chiller and it gravity feeds just fine. I've never chilled wort so fast with so little hassle. Buy one of these or a therminator NOW! You won't regret it....

Old 02-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #28
Proetus
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hmm my shirron seems a bit slow. We're talking 7-10 to fill 5 gallon fermenters with a pump. Just tossed it in the oven on clean cycle. Will see how it does next brew day.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #29
knightbeer39
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm getting 10 gallons chilled to under 70 in about 10 minutes or so using syphon only. It's possible yours is a little clogged; the oven treatment should help.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #30
jaginger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie Mac View Post
When not in use, I take it straight off of Brutus, flush it with my 10 gals of ice water from the HLT used from cooling, drain it for a small bit and put it straight into a sub friggin cold deep freezer to freeze solid until next brew day.

Right before a brew I thaw it out, I flush it with hose water and let it sit in a bucket of StarSan for an hour or so until I need it for chilling...
You put it in the freezer to keep anything from growing in there I presume? Haven't heard of anyone doing that but it makes sense i suppose.