My Carboy/Keg Cleaner - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Cleaners & Cleaning > My Carboy/Keg Cleaner

Old 10-23-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
sam
Recipes 

Dec 2004
Bridgewater, NJ
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Nice Brewme, it sure makes things easier... I actually don't mind cleaning kegs/carboys now that I've built my own washer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrewit View Post
...On carboys it pumps fluid in faster than it can drain out so I have to shut off the pump periodically to allow the carboy to drain.
I had the same problem until I changed the nozzle from 3/4" PVC to 1/2" copper. Now I can let the pump run and the carboy doesn't fill up because there's more room for drainage.

Video and build info here: Keg and Carboy Washer

Old 10-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #12
samc
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Portland OR
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts

I made a keg cleaner using similar pump. But what I have found is that if I am cleaning one keg it's easier to just fill with hot water & oxyclean and let it sit. I don't think the recirculating accomplished anything for me. I don't use carboys anymore but I can see the advantage of less handling those slippery devils. If I was going to clean many kegs then daisy chaining them together would be a time saver.

Nice build - that's half the fun of the hobby!

Old 10-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #13
hexmonkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Hunterdon County, NJ
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
I made a keg cleaner using similar pump. But what I have found is that if I am cleaning one keg it's easier to just fill with hot water & oxyclean and let it sit. I don't think the recirculating accomplished anything for me.
It seems to me that this requires fewer than 5 gallons of hot water & oxyclean...?

Reason: bad grammar

Old 10-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #14
Munsoned
Recipes 

Mar 2009
DC Metro
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I also made something similar. Mine is 100% PVC, and also has two valves. One valve goes to the keg QDs, and the other to the main stem (i.e., I can control with the valve how much water is going up into a carboy). Pump was cheap from harbor freight. Finding the PVC fittings was by far the most difficult part...

Old 11-21-2015, 02:16 PM   #15
kegtoe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

This milk crate idea is genius, way better than the modified bucket I was going to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewme View Post

Old 03-08-2016, 05:07 PM   #16
UncleRusty
Recipes 

May 2014
Cleveland, Ohio
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Looks good! I keep debating as to whether I should just buy a Mark II washer or build my own. It's more so the time factor of finding all the right parts at Home Depot and then assembling everything vs. just ordering that one online and not having to spend a few hours setting everything up.

What was your total cost out the door including all parts?