Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Problems with last few beers

Old 10-04-2009, 01:10 AM   #1
clemson55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Problems with last few beers

I have had problems with 2 of my last 3 beers. Both the beers that turned out poorly have had a sort of soapy/astringent off taste to them. Also all 3 of them have been poorly carbonated. I have never had either of these problems with any of the other beers I've made. The only thing that is new/different for those 3 is that I started using IO Star no rinse sanitizer. I am wondering if I am mixing it to heavy or something. Which seems hard since the bottle has a built in 1 oz our spout but that all I can think of. I am planning on brewing up round 2 of my PB Oatmeal Stout tomorrow and I really dont want this problem to happen again, so any suggestions about what you think the problem might be would be great.

Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010

Old 10-04-2009, 01:23 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Check here to see if your problem is listed:

http://www.winning-homebrew.com/off-flavors.html

Old 10-04-2009, 02:30 AM   #3
clemson55
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

The only thing I got from that that I could have done wrong was maybe overhop. I did an APA and IPA on the two beers that turned out poorly and I put extra hops in both of them. The third was a Saison so it was lightly hopped.
Drinking - Peanut Butter Oatmeal Stout, Barleywine, Saison, APA, Strawberry mead
In the Works - Summer Rye for my wedding, May 15, 2010