Sweet Stout Left Hand Milk Stout Clone - Page 25 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Sweet Stout Left Hand Milk Stout Clone

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 09:51 PM   #241
jmwalker
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Denver, CO
Posts: 4

Thank you for this fantastic recipe. Followed to the letter and it was amazing.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:09 AM   #242
BeardedDave
 
BeardedDave's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2012
Troy, Ohio
Posts: 5


I've brewed this twice now and we are almost through our 2nd batch. Thanks for the great recipe.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:08 AM   #243
THURN1S_HALEY
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by adx View Post
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Left Hand Milk Stout
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.13 gal
Estimated OG: 1.065 SG
Estimated Color: 41.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) Grain 56.57 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.08 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
12.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
10.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5.05 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
0.35 oz Magnum [12.10 %] (60 min) Hops 18.4 IBU
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 8.08 %
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11.38 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 14.20 qt of water at 162.5 F 151.0 F

Notes:

The lactose was added with 10 minutes left in the boil.
So I'm brewing this next week, and its going to be my first stout so I'm pretty excited. Anyway my question is this...I've been reading a lot about protein rests to bring out the enzymes during the mash on unmodified malts such as flaked oats, flaked barley, roasted barley etc which are used fairly largely in a stout. Do you think this would be a bad idea with this beer? Or do you think it would water it down or take away from the body too much? Any thoughts? :-)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #244
bottlebomber
 
bottlebomber's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,345
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by THURN1S_HALEY

So I'm brewing this next week, and its going to be my first stout so I'm pretty excited. Anyway my question is this...I've been reading a lot about protein rests to bring out the enzymes during the mash on unmodified malts such as flaked oats, flaked barley, roasted barley etc which are used fairly largely in a stout. Do you think this would be a bad idea with this beer? Or do you think it would water it down or take away from the body too much? Any thoughts? :-)
That won't be necessary for 2 reasons - reason one is that protein rests are done in part to reduce the proteins that would be responsible for chill haze, and protein haze isn't an issue in a stout because it is black. Reason 2 is that flaked grains are not malted and have no diastolic power. However the base malt in the recipe is more than adequate to convert the starches in the grains. I recommend making it to the book the first time, and then decide if you want to change something after that.

brianball Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:24 AM   #245
THURN1S_HALEY
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebomber View Post

That won't be necessary for 2 reasons - reason one is that protein rests are done in part to reduce the proteins that would be responsible for chill haze, and protein haze isn't an issue in a stout because it is black. Reason 2 is that flaked grains are not malted and have no diastolic power. However the base malt in the recipe is more than adequate to convert the starches in the grains. I recommend making it to the book the first time, and then decide if you want to change something after that.
Thank you for the input and thorough answer, good sir!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:37 AM   #246
bottlebomber
 
bottlebomber's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,345
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by THURN1S_HALEY

Thank you for the input and thorough answer, good sir!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #247
Kjm06
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 111
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm0f5 View Post
Here's what I did... as a partial mash (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy...ng-pics-75231/). It was really easy and didn't require any more equipment.

1 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
3.6 lbs Light DME (3 lbs of it was late addition)
1 lbs Roasted Barley
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt
12.0 oz Munich Malt
10.0 oz Barley, Flaked
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked
0.30 oz Magnum [14.10 %] (60 min) Hops
0.80 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.10 %] (10 min) Hops
1 lbs Milk Sugar (Lactose)
1 Pkgs SafAle S-04

I partial mashed the pale malt and all the other grains in ~2 gals of water (1.5 qt/lb of grain) at 152-154 degrees (used my oven at 175 with mash in the pot to keep the mash at that temp), "Teabag" sparged into another pot with ~1 gal of water. Added everything together in the brew kettle, boiled as above with the lactose at 10 mins. Ice bath cooled, topped off to 5 gals with an OG of 1.064 and its actively fermenting at 64 degrees. BrewR estimated my OG at 1.065, IBU 25 and 42 SRM. So I don't think I'm too far off from the original recipe.

Just follow the directions in the partial mash tutorial above. Not too much more difficult than just extract with steeping grains (this is only my 6th or 7th brew BTW).
Im going to use this recipe this weekend. Anybody else have any luck using this?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:18 AM   #248
jasonsbeer
 
jasonsbeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Central Iowa
Posts: 392
Liked 24 Times on 14 Posts


I brewed this up last fall. Great tasting beer with a lot of great comments from my beer drinking friends.

I sent it into the Boneyard comp. Scored a 30 and 32. Both judges commented it was a great drinking beer, but was too roasty for a sweet stout. Out of style I guess.

Next time I may try adding the roasted grains late in the mash or simply cut back on the chocolate malt.
__________________
There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst of it is half of them are true.

Winston Churchill

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #249
Kjm06
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 111
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsbeer View Post
I brewed this up last fall. Great tasting beer with a lot of great comments from my beer drinking friends.

I sent it into the Boneyard comp. Scored a 30 and 32. Both judges commented it was a great drinking beer, but was too roasty for a sweet stout. Out of style I guess.

Next time I may try adding the roasted grains late in the mash or simply cut back on the chocolate malt.
I have everything except the Munich malt. Will this be a problem? Should I add more crystal?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #250
bottlebomber
 
bottlebomber's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Ukiah, CA
Posts: 14,345
Liked 2737 Times on 2112 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjm06

I have everything except the Munich malt. Will this be a problem? Should I add more crystal?
No. This is a heavier beer as it is, you don't want added crystal. Just roll without it, maybe add a pound of base malt.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Left Hand Milk Stout Clone? Grifbucs Extract Brewing 11 08-29-2013 10:21 PM
Left Hand Milk Stout Clone scutiger Homebrew Ale Recipes 0 06-06-2013 04:22 PM
Left Hand Milk Stout Clone UTbrewer Recipes/Ingredients 7 08-02-2011 06:29 PM
Adding Chocolate To Left Hand Milk Stout Clone SteveLSU75 General Beer Discussion 4 04-03-2011 08:44 PM
Odd smell in left hand brewing milk stout clone L0stm4n Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 03-23-2011 07:21 PM


Forum Jump