what are some versitle hops? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > what are some versitle hops?

Old 09-22-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
MrEcted1
Recipes 

Feb 2006
Colorado
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am thinking about placing a good sized order from Freshops.com, but if i'm gonna buy a couple pounds of hops I am going to try and get some that are pretty versitile.

Which hops do you find that you use a lot?

Bottled (Drinking):
Next: IIPA

last batch review(Schwheat (wheat))

Appear: 3.5/5.
Mouthfeel: 3.5/5
Carb/Head: 3/5
Taste: 2.5/5
Overall: 3/5

An overall decent beer but it has too much of a banana character, I think it's because of fermenting at too high of a temp. Tasted better as it aged, but far from perfect.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cary, NC
Liked 101 Times on 89 Posts

this is really going to depend on what you like to drink, but I bought bulk from hopsdirect.com and selected Cascade, Chinook, Fuggles, Northern Brewer, and EK Goldings.

The chinook is one I like to bitter many things with.
I use the NB and Cascade in my IPA.
I use the fuggles and goldings in mosy of my english style ales (porter, brown, esb, etc)

I bought mine from hopsdirect.com, which I think is a better deal freshops b/c hopsdirect sends you WAY more than you actually order... each 'pound' ordered weighed about 1.5 pounds on the scale.

-walker

Old 09-22-2006, 08:06 PM   #3
MrEcted1
Recipes 

Feb 2006
Colorado
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san
this is really going to depend on what you like to drink, but I bought bulk from hopsdirect.com and selected Cascade, Chinook, Fuggles, Northern Brewer, and EK Goldings.

I use the fuggles and goldings in mosy of my english style ales (porter, brown, esb, etc)

I bought mine from hopsdirect.com, which I think is a better deal freshops b/c hopsdirect sends you WAY more than you actually order... each 'pound' ordered weighed about 1.5 pounds on the scale.

-walker

yeah it does depend on style... but I like to brew just about every style out there

thanks for the tip, i'll check out hopsdirect!

How long would you say hops stay good if frozen?
Bottled (Drinking):

An overall decent beer but it has too much of a banana character, I think it's because of fermenting at too high of a temp. Tasted better as it aged, but far from perfect.

Old 09-22-2006, 08:09 PM   #4
MrEcted1
Recipes 

Feb 2006
Colorado
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker-san

-walker
Holy crap!!!!!

HopsDirect is a lot cheaper! Like $5.50/lb for chinook and others... Freshops is like $11.50 lb for any hops. Thanks a lot for the tip!
Bottled (Drinking):

Old 09-22-2006, 08:19 PM   #5
Truble

Recipes 

Oct 2005
Boston, MA
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I like using Cascade, so I bought a bunch of organic whole. Almost out. Everything else I buy as needed. just checked out the prices at hopsdirect.com though, and I think I am going to place an order. I have plenty of room in the freezer...

Primary: Octoberfest
mini 1G Primary: nichts
Secondary #1: #97 Pale Ale
Secondary #2 nichts
Bottled/Conditioning: nichts

Fully ConditionedDrinking: nichts
All Gone!:
Everything

Old 09-22-2006, 08:34 PM   #6
sonvolt
Recipes 

Feb 2006
Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

I have to consciously tell myself not to use EK Goldings for everything. My fav hop by a mile.