Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Dry Hopping Question

Old 10-01-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
bendit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry Hopping Question

Hey guys,

I am preparing to do my second homebrew batch this weekend and will be doing a single stage fermentation instead of a two stage (which I did the first time around).

I'll be making the Lady Liberty Ale from Palmer's book. The recipe gives you two fermentation schedules, one with primary only (10 days) and one with primary and secondary (1 week + 2 weeks). It only mentions dry hopping as an option for the two-stage option, but I know from reading some other posts here that plenty of people do it.

If I decide to dry hop 7 days into primary fermentation, do I still only bottle after a total of 10 days, or do I need to extend that primary fermentation to allow for the dry hops to either fall to the bottom or release all their flavor?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Old 10-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #2
corvax13
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You are going to get many varied responses to this. My beginner's guestimate would be to leave in the primary for at least 10 days - make sure fermentation is 100% complete with hydrometer readings 3 consecutive days. Once that happens, dryhop, and leave it there for a week.

Alternatively, you can leave it in the primary for a month, and then dryhop for a week. (The extra month will let the yeast clean up after itself, and clear your beer up a little.)

Also, I know many people here don't secondary, UNLESS they are dry hopping or adding fruit, spices, etc. (this is what I do)

Old 10-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
bendit
Recipes 

Is hopping at flame out a reasonable alternative?

Old 10-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Hops at flame out will not give you the same effect as dry hopping.

Even the effects of DH in the primary will not be the same because the offgassing of the CO2 will carry off some of the aroma/flavor of the hops.

IMO it's best to DH in the secondary after the majority of the offgassing has past and you know your brew tastes good.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
dogbar
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Dry hopping in primary is fine. Many, many people do it (although I don't):

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=%22dry+hop+in+primary%22
The bigger question is if you really want to bottle after only 10 days. Personally, I'd wait at least two weeks.

Then count backwards from the bottle date, to give yourself five to seven days of dry hop time.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #6
rwinzing
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I agree above I would re-think and dry hop in a secondary. If not you may want to extend you time frames unless you plan on have the brew for some event

Old 10-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
bendit
Recipes 

I've decided to do a two-stage fermantation again. It turns out I can fit it in my schedule (I thought I would be away when I would need to rack it) and I might as well stick to what I've already done once instead of mixing things up just when I get the hang of things.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
bendit
Recipes 

Thanks guys.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
phidelt844
Recipes 

It sounds like you've already made up your mind, but I've dry hopped a number of batches in the primary after waiting 3-4 weeks and had great results. I guess that's just the lazy way to do it since no racking to secondary is required.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
SMOKEU
Recipes 

Is it a good idea to dry hop after 2 weeks of fermenting and then bottle a week later?