Cutting the shank!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samc

Reaction score
I am working on a conversion of wine chiller to soda kegerator to free up my keezer for beer only. I am making a tower out of a piece of leftover 3" ABS pipe and want to use an old 3" shank for the tap. How can I successfully cut the shank down to about 1.5" without botching it? I can usually hacksaw a small bolt with good results but I doubt I can do the same with the large size of a shank. Any tips or ideas?

btw - routed the thermostat outside of the chiller and have no problems getting down to beer/soda temps! It's basically a mini fridge that they re-purposed into a wine chiller by limiting how cold it gets with the thermostat probe.

First thought... take it to a local bicycle shop (not a box store but a real small business bike shop), they've got jigs that clamp onto fork steerer tubes for cutting them down square. The kid in the shop will probably do it for five a spot.
Other option, screw the nut down and use it as shoulder to saw against at the level you want to take off. This will clean the threads too when you remove the nut...

Back