Window A/C unit using extension cord and power strip - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Window A/C unit using extension cord and power strip

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2009, 03:11 AM   #1
ThreeTaps
 
ThreeTaps's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Pacific Beach, CA
Posts: 520
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts



Hi all,

I know the rule is to not use either of those to power a window A/C unit, however there are no power receptacles within 20 feet of where my A/C unit will be for my fermentation chamber. So I picked up a 25' medium duty extension cord and a good power strip today, and want your opinions on using them. I figured as long as the ratings for the strip and cord surpass what the A/C unit uses, it would be fine.

A/C unit: 500W, 115V, 4.6A
Extension Cord: 1625W, 125V, 13A
Power Strip: Way above both of those (200A and something like 500V)


I can skip usage of the power strip, or get another extension cord for it if that would be better. I need one however for the light inside the chamber and a mini fan to help circulate air.
__________________
Justin H.
Brew Blog: Three Taps Brewing
Primary: Centennial Blonde Ale, Deception Cream Stout Secondary: Empty.
Bottle Conditioning / Drinking: Pumpkin Spice Ale, Cherry Wheat Ale, Bee Cave IPA, EdWort's Apfelwein.
R.I.P.: Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Pecan Scottish Ale, Nut Brown Ale, Blonde Ale.


RDWHAHB
Brewing Since August 17, 2009
Have a BlackBerry? Download the HBT launcher here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs
You definitely win my award for "Most Enthusiastic New Brewer".

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:52 AM   #2
TheBelly
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Snohomish
Posts: 16
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


The power strip probably has a 15a cb.
The 500V rating is probably the maximum spike it can take. a 200A power strip would have like power cord the size of the power lines you have running to your house, about the same diameter as a penny.

I would suggest plugging in the extension cord and running the unit for a while under load. Checking it periodically for heat, especially near the outlets.

I have had extension cords burst into flames while running heavy loads for extended periods like my compressor.

Edit: Most house hold outlets are 15AMP. See if you have a 20AMP maybe in your garage.
__________________
The Belly

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 04:22 AM   #3
ThreeTaps
 
ThreeTaps's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Pacific Beach, CA
Posts: 520
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBelly View Post
The power strip probably has a 15a cb.
The 500V rating is probably the maximum spike it can take. a 200A power strip would have like power cord the size of the power lines you have running to your house, about the same diameter as a penny.

I would suggest plugging in the extension cord and running the unit for a while under load. Checking it periodically for heat, especially near the outlets.

I have had extension cords burst into flames while running heavy loads for extended periods like my compressor.

Edit: Most house hold outlets are 15AMP. See if you have a 20AMP maybe in your garage.
I think I'm just going to buy an A/C or appliance extension cord at Home Depot tomorrow. Not worth the risk using this one, even though it "should" do the job fine. I'll then use this one for the power strip to power my fan and light.

Thanks for the input!
__________________
Justin H.
Brew Blog: Three Taps Brewing
Primary: Centennial Blonde Ale, Deception Cream Stout Secondary: Empty.
Bottle Conditioning / Drinking: Pumpkin Spice Ale, Cherry Wheat Ale, Bee Cave IPA, EdWort's Apfelwein.
R.I.P.: Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Pecan Scottish Ale, Nut Brown Ale, Blonde Ale.


RDWHAHB
Brewing Since August 17, 2009
Have a BlackBerry? Download the HBT launcher here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyjacobs
You definitely win my award for "Most Enthusiastic New Brewer".

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #4
Sawdustguy
 
Sawdustguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Manorville, New York
Posts: 2,708
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBelly View Post
Edit: Most house hold outlets are 15AMP. See if you have a 20AMP maybe in your garage.
Why does he need a 20 amp breaker to run an appliance that draws only 4.6 amps? A 15 amp breaker will handle 3 times the load of the air conditioner providing he has nothing else on that circuit.
__________________
Guy

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #5
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,595
Liked 152 Times on 143 Posts


Quote:
Why does he need a 20 amp breaker to run an appliance that draws only 4.6 amps?
I can't imagine an A/C unit would have a starting current four times the running value, but that would be the only rational for a 20 amp circuit. I'm running a 7 amp A/C on a 15 amp circuit and don't see any problems.
__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
leboeuf
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 320
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Window a/c's are designed and meant to be ran on run of the mill 15amp setups. You may not want to run a hair dryer/space heater on the same breaker while the unit is on.... You'll be fine, just use 15amp rated stuff (basically anything you'll find at the hardware store). There's no issue with using extension cords and power strips as long as you aren't tripping breakers.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
Reedwalker
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Detroit, MI
Posts: 166
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


My parents had a house fire doing this exact thing. A window A/C unit on a 25' medium duty extension cord.

If you love your home, family, and pets DO NOT use an extension cord on a A/C unit.

The breakers NEVER tripped. The wiring inside the wall started the fire.
__________________
Hot on left, cold on right, $^*t rolls downhill, and paydays on Friday. You're now an apprentice plumber.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
leboeuf
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 320
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


If the wiring inside the wall caught fire then the extension cord probably wasn't the problem...

Heat only builds if you encounter a resistance in the wire, this can happen at plugs/etc if they start to break down. A fire inside the wall is usually caused by breakdown of the wire or a bad junction.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:43 PM   #9
Reedwalker
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Detroit, MI
Posts: 166
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Exacerbated by the heat from the cord. Direct from the Fire Marshall's lips.

Funny how you get on the internetz and everybody is an electrical engineer that specializes in thermal dynamics.
__________________
Hot on left, cold on right, $^*t rolls downhill, and paydays on Friday. You're now an apprentice plumber.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
leboeuf
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 320
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I'm not a fire marshall, but I am an EE. I worked in the industrial field before I moved on to IC world.
There's no mysticism here. besides the wiring in the wall being solid core and the extension cord being stranded, there really isn't anything else. In the scheme of things the extension cord is no different than the cord on the ac unit...

Any chance you're speaking about a unit that pulls around 20amps?

If this does worry the OP it wouldn't be hard to hook up a longer wire directly to the unit /shrug

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using old A/C unit for Fermentation unit? EamusCatuli Fermenters 10 07-21-2009 06:23 PM
help me put a temp swich on an extension cord ben_j8mmin Brew Stands 4 04-24-2009 07:42 PM
Framing in a window A/C unit in a wall tips needed EdWort DIY Projects 12 07-09-2008 12:58 AM
IC extension ? ttownbrew Equipment/Sanitation 5 01-01-2008 07:46 PM
Replacing 2-prong cord with grounded cord sphericalcamel Equipment/Sanitation 3 07-04-2007 03:31 PM


Forum Jump