Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > cactus apple

Old 09-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
kmoo1302
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default cactus apple

as I am fairly new to the brewing addiction I wanted to do a fruit addition to my next brew( maybe a hefe, or Belgian). I live in so-cal and there is an abundance of cactus apples in and around my area, so I thought "why not". has anyone tried using this fruit before? Its flavor is rather mild, so would it actually come thru in a beer? I havent made it to ag , so it will prob. be a partial.thanks

Old 09-29-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Bsquared
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've never done it, but have been thinking about it for years now. Today on my ride to work I rode past at least 5 Cacti completely full of prickly pears. I think you would be on the right track to use them in a Heff, or a wheat beer of sorts, the tart acidity of the fruit would be good with them. Or a wise style sour beer would be excellent too.

I might have to raid some of these Cacti and get a few lbs for a pure, and freeze it for later. too many beers in the pipeline for me, but I'd like to hear about your experiences with them if you try some thing.