Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Getting Confused

Old 09-21-2006, 08:52 PM   #11
andre the giant
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

you might try someplace like http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/

I did a google search and found a couple places like that, and they seem to have crushed grains, hops and extract. You should be able to order the ingredients separately and make your own recipes.

That's about all the help I can be from the other side of the pond. I do wish you well though... and I envy you. The cask conditioned ales I had in London last Christmas still have me drooling.

Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)

Old 09-21-2006, 09:58 PM   #12
Markusface
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smg8041
I live right up the road from that HBS, been perfect for my supplies and the owners practically gave me a crash course in brewing when I first stepped into the shop out of curiosity, and have been hooked ever since

Back on topic, I'm another Brit finding it hard to move away from the kits, because I'm sliiightly confused about the whole moving up to more complex brewing methods. Investing in a brewpot would be a good first step... tehe
And as for homebrewing drying up in the UK... possibly true... although all the friends who have tried my homebrew havn't turned their nose up at it for the commercial stuff. I think its my special ingredient... Love *awwww*

Secondary: IPA
Bottled: Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale Almost gone :( t'were delicious!
Mysteriously Disappeared: Some Random Dark Ale - Cooper's Bavarian Lager - Mexican Cerveza - Black Sheep Export Bitter - Edwort's Apfelwein

Old 09-21-2006, 10:34 PM   #13
TREMBLE
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I found this at thehopshop it looks like exactly what I am after!
http://www.hopshopuk.com/cgi-bin/bro...roup=craftsman

The range is not great but I really would like to have a go with a set of ingrediants I know are correct before I start experimenting. Apart from not knowing what I am doing the whole US-UK gallons and Imperial-Metric conversions has left me more than a little confused when it comes to trying to figure out what I would need!

If I was to go with one of these kits would I be able to use this item to boil it do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I like the idea of using a boiler like this as if I continue on to mini-mash/AG I think I could continue to use it and I would struggle to boil large quantities in my small kitchen.

Cheers everyone!

Old 09-22-2006, 01:11 AM   #14
Brewnurse

Recipes 

If you are looking to go with extract with specialty grains , then I would recommend going with a online-US kit. If you look on the web sites you can pick a kit that is already together for you. All you really have to do is bring the water- about five gallons. If you have a pot that can boil two gallons it would do great.The kits come with grains, malt extract(dry or liquid), hops, and yeast. Most even have the directions to follow. I think you will find that the quality of beer you make will be substantially better. Of course the cost will be a little higher because of the shipping. Enjoy!

Primary #1:Apple Cider(x2)
Secondary #1:Honey Stout (10 Gal)
Drinking, Ed's Original Apfelwein, Cheesefood's Ale, Krolsh, Ed's House Ale, Nut Brown
Kegged, B's Honey Wheat

Old 09-22-2006, 11:14 AM   #15
TREMBLE
Recipes 

If I was to import a kit or 2 from Northern Brewer or another US shop (waiting till I see shippping costs!) Is there anything in the kits that will not last long? If I was to pay to ship some over it would make more sense to buy a few at once rather than just 1 or 2 to try them out.

I know you guys use liquid yeast quite a bit (never even seen it on sale over here) and if that was in a kit it would not last but what about the other components?

Old 09-22-2006, 11:55 AM   #16
Freedgull
Recipes 

http://www.hopshopuk.com/cgi-bin/bro...p&group=byeast

The first page of yeasts here are liquid yeasts

Old 09-22-2006, 08:43 PM   #17
Brewnurse

Recipes 

I live right next the More Beer store in California, so I get all my stuff from them. It's pretty fresh stuff. I would imagine that if you were to purchase af ew kits from someone that it would all stay fresh as long as you refrigerate it when you get it. The extract kits I get have everything in airtight sealed bags. The hops are even in nitrogen filled silver packets to protect from light. I would also think the yeast would survive the trip as well(if packaged right). But if not go out and buy some from one of your venders(UK).
If you were so inclined you might want to look into opening your own store? Seems not too many of them over there. Just a thought.

Primary #1:Apple Cider(x2)
Secondary #1:Honey Stout (10 Gal)
Drinking, Ed's Original Apfelwein, Cheesefood's Ale, Krolsh, Ed's House Ale, Nut Brown
Kegged, B's Honey Wheat