Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewhouse kit Mexican cervesca -Adding a lime flavour

Old 09-29-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
beiner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Brewhouse kit Mexican cervesca -Adding a lime flavour

Hey all,

Im new to brewing and have been using the Brewhouse kits thus far with great sucess. I am at the point in which I would like to start putting my own watermark on the kits and the idea I had was to add a like flavour to the mexican cervesca kit.

Now Im using only a primary fermenter. It is 48 litres and seems to do an awesome job. My fermenting period seems a little shorter aswell ( about 7-10 days on average)

I've done a fair bit of reading and think that adding a home made lime extract either to the primary right before bottling or to each individual bottle is probably the most efficent way to add a subtle taste of lime to my beer.

My question is:

How can I calculate how much sugar my extract will be adding. I do not what beer champagne when I open my beer on drinking day.

And if anyone else has any useful hints or tips that would be fantastic.

Old 09-29-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
FishinDave07
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would be VERY cautious as i think lime can be easily over done in the finished product. I'm sure most people will tell you to drink your beer and have a lime wedge with it! but if lime in beer is what you want, then i recommend adding the lime extract (sugarless would be best) at bottling to taste.

Drinking: Yakima Blonde (Imperialized), Banana Wheat, Russian Imperial Stout, and anything i can get my hands on
On Deck: Watermelon Wheat, Red Panda Ale, Gluten Free Brown Ale, Mojito IPA, Smoked Pepper Stout

Old 09-29-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
beiner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinDave07 View Post
then i recommend adding the lime extract (sugarless would be best) at bottling to taste.
will this produce enough carbonation?

Aswell thank you for the advice

Old 09-29-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Benjibbad
Recipes 

if you use sugar less it will not restart the fermentation which is where you carbonation comes from. I would also be careful with the lime extracts you use. Some have preservatives which could kill the yeast and cause your beer not to carbonate at all.
Primary 4: Coastal Red
Primary 5: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty
Keg1: Cherry Lambic
Keg2: A-10 IIPA
Keg3: Crazy Cuban Monk (Cedrella infused Tripel)
Keg4: Kolsch weisen hybrid

Old 09-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
beiner
Recipes 

I was thinking about making my own extract via a lime peel immersion in vodka ( I have the recipee at home, at work currently) So that should take out a lot of the additives.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2883 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

There are a few threads on here about using lime, they are usually short lived, because I think other than me, there has only been a hand full who have actually done it. There's a couple threads below in the "similar threads" box. including it looks like one recipe .

I've posted mine a few times. Here's the link to my recipe.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/854185-post9.html

And that is from this thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/lime...10/#post854185

Which if I recall was mostly conjecture (not many people who actually brewed with lime) a handful of bud bashers, and a couple of us who have had experience. But some decent info.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2883 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiner View Post
I was thinking about making my own extract via a lime peel immersion in vodka ( I have the recipee at home, at work currently) So that should take out a lot of the additives.
I'd be interested to hear how this works out. I am toying with the idea of infusing some peels into a "candi syrup" made by boiling lactose and water and steeping the peels in that. I'm thinking that since lactose is a non-fermentable sugar then it might make for a sweeter lime flavor.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-29-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
beiner
Recipes 

http://www.recipezaar.com/Pure-Key-Lime-Extract-110089

this is the lime flavour recipee i will be using.

They way I think im going to go about it is to take a glass of my fermented wort, add drops of the lime untill I find a flavour I like and add a teaspoon of dextrose. I know that the lime will have sugar within it, so the suger im adding is totally a guesstimate ( I added 2 teaspoons previously and it was dead on, so Im saying the fruit = 1 the dextrose = 1)