Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > All-Grain - Watermelon Wheat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #321
Johnnyhamer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 362
Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default


Really wish I had one to drink while doing this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130520_172411.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	123263
__________________
Drinking: Beer
Johnnyhamer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #322
Johnnyhamer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 362
Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default


Also going to try to carb a few bottles using watermelon Jolly Ranchers.

http://www.partycity.com/product/wat...Set=watermelon
__________________
Drinking: Beer
Johnnyhamer is offline  
OCBrewin Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:47 AM   #323
NativeSun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 187
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhamer
Also going to try to carb a few bottles using watermelon Jolly Ranchers.

http://www.partycity.com/product/wat...Set=watermelon
Definitely need to know how that works instead of the priming sugar!
__________________
NJ Beer Connoisseur
NativeSun is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:50 AM   #324
Johnnyhamer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 362
Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default


I'll report back. There's a current thread about it. Added the Watermelon yesterday and it's still bubbling
__________________
Drinking: Beer
Johnnyhamer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #325
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
 
kingmatt's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Souderton
Posts: 746
Liked 38 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhamer View Post
Also going to try to carb a few bottles using watermelon Jolly Ranchers.

http://www.partycity.com/product/wat...Set=watermelon
I can't stand that fake watermelon flavor..that is why I love this recipe so much since you use actual watermelon juice instead of the fake stuff. Adding watermelon jolly ranchers seems to defeat the purpose of using fresh watermelon juice IMO. Different strokes though.

good luck
__________________
Primary 1: Sort of Sunshine IIPA
Primary 2: Air
Secondary 1: Barleywine
Secondary 2: Mango Pale
Kegged: Rye IPA v.2.0, Jasmine Blonde
Bottled: English Mild, Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-
kingmatt is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #326
DubbelDach
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 1,307
Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default


This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmatt View Post

I can't stand that fake watermelon flavor..that is why I love this recipe so much since you use actual watermelon juice instead of the fake stuff. Adding watermelon jolly ranchers seems to defeat the purpose of using fresh watermelon juice IMO. Different strokes though.

good luck
DubbelDach is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #327
Wreck99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Wreck99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Warminster
Posts: 518
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default


Just kegged mine. OMG its goooooood!
__________________
Wrecked Brewery - "Prepare to be WRECKED!"
http://www.facebook.com/WreckedBrewery

Primary: Wrecked Lager, Mosaic / GP SMaSH
Secondary: None
On Tap: Copperhead Red Ale, Peach of Resistance

"Beer, it's the best damn drink in the world." -Jack Nicholson
Wreck99 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #328
blue77
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
blue77's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 155
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default


Great recipe....did this last year and the keg disappeared in one party. One critique was that there was some tartness.

Question: I followed the latest recipe when I brewed it last year, using 6 cups of watermelon juice in the secondary. Of course, there was some additional fermentation when the juice was in the secondary, which I think led to some tartness in the final product. In order to get some of the sweetness back this year, could I add a few campden tablets to the secondary to kill off the yeast and retain the watermelon sweetness?

Has anyone tried this and what was your result?
__________________
My Man Cave and Keezer Build
blue77 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:19 PM   #329
Johnnyhamer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 362
Liked 25 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by blue77 View Post
Great recipe....did this last year and the keg disappeared in one party. One critique was that there was some tartness.

Question: I followed the latest recipe when I brewed it last year, using 6 cups of watermelon juice in the secondary. Of course, there was some additional fermentation when the juice was in the secondary, which I think led to some tartness in the final product. In order to get some of the sweetness back this year, could I add a few campden tablets to the secondary to kill off the yeast and retain the watermelon sweetness?

Has anyone tried this and what was your result?
Sounds like it'll work in theory. I'd add 3 cups, let them ferment then 3 more cups and the campden tablet.
__________________
Drinking: Beer
Johnnyhamer is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:13 AM   #330
hbr2547
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 183
Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Default


Thanks by the way - this beer tastes amazing. My mother is anti beer drinker and I stopped to see my parents on Saturday and drop off my kids. I cracked a beer at 10 am (so my father could taste) and after getting yelled at for drinking beer,especially at 10 am my mother polished off half a beer and said "wow Todd that's really good...refreshing and different"

Cheers and thanks!!!
hbr2547 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Multiple - watermelon wheat ben the brewman Wheat and Rye Beer 333 05-19-2014 11:23 PM
Watermelon keg sirsloop Bottling/Kegging 19 04-09-2010 07:49 PM
Modified Watermelon Wheat Recipe Question (Guava) PhilthePirate Extract Brewing 1 10-19-2009 01:47 PM
Watermelon Wheat...my first custom recipe ziggy13 Recipes/Ingredients 6 09-19-2009 09:14 PM
Watermelon wheat nostalgia All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 18 07-17-2009 06:01 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS