Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Old 10-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #451
AOD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcell View Post
as mentioned above, it's the *air* in your basement that is 66*F. what we're concerned about is the temperature of the beer and making sure that it stays at approx 66* - and air isn't very good at ensuring this. the yeast activity will generate more heat than air can take away = beer heats up.

water in contact with the outside of the bucket or carboy will be much more effective at removing excess heat. so yes, i would recommend a tub of cooled water.

ideally you should also have some way of monitoring the temperature of the beer. the fancy way is to have some sort of a thermometer or temp probe in your beer. a much cheaper approach is to use a LCD thermo-strip stuck to the outside of your bucket or carboy (sometimes referred to as aquarium thermometers for fermometers). make sure that the LCD strip is above the level of the water, but below the level of the beer:
This is an AWESOME explanation, thank you sweetcell. I was going to chime in, but you covered it well!

A lot of folks think that the room temp is the temp of their beer during fermentation....NO SO. Fermenting above 70F is going to give you fusel (hot) alcohols and a lot of esters, depending on the yeast strain.

Cheers,
~Adam

Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #452
Parkje04
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOD View Post
This is an AWESOME explanation, thank you sweetcell.
Completely agree. Put my fermentor in a swamp cooler last night - hopefully it helps. The krausen is pretty low on it right now, though the airlock sounded like a machine gun last night when I got home from work. This morning it had slowed a little - I think I'll keep the bucket in the cooler until at least sunday though, just to be sure.

I might start looking for a cheap chest freezer on craigslist. I bought one a few years ago that I have since gotten rid of. I turned it into a kegerator - might have to do something similar to keep the brews cold during fermentation.

Thanks again for the advice!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #453
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 813 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 323

glad i could help

ideally, you want to keep the temps stable and consistent. yeast tend to complain when they're cooled too much, it can cause them to go to sleep and settle out (this is what happens when you cold crash). so try to avoid temp spikes that require cooling of several degrees.

i don't have a fancy automated setup. i simply look at the temp indicated by my stick-on thermometers and add ice (quick cooling) and ice packs (slower, long-term cooling) as needed. took me a few batches to figure out, but i've gotten pretty good at it. trick is to check up on your fermentor as often as you can... and who doesn't need an extra excuse to go spend a little time with their beer?!?

happiness is a bubbling airlock

Drinking: black harvest ale (wet-hopped with my homegrown hops), witbier, hoppy saison, Tripel'ish, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34, imperial chocolate stout
Aging: witbier with brett, TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn, and probably some stuff i've lost track of...

Old 10-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #454
AOD
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
I might start looking for a cheap chest freezer on craigslist.
I have a 1950's Norge chest freezer I picked up for $50 years ago from CL. It weighs something like 450 pounds empty, all steel, but it still works like a champ!

Cheers,
~Adam

Old 10-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #455
Projectfdw
Recipes 

Checked my gravity today after 9 days in primary and it was 1.012. Sg of 1.079. Pitched 2 11g packs of unrehydrated s04. Held steady at 68 degrees. Any idea why so low? I expected to finish 1.020 or so since it was extract. Puts it at around 8.8%. Tasted ok, but pretty bitter. Maybe it's the coffee and chocolate.

My grain steep got to 180 degrees for about 5 minutes (putting kids to bed) so I hope that wasn't the culprit.

Old 10-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #456
mhot55
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Distributer near me had Founders Breakfast Stout available. I immediately snatched a couple of 4-packs. I wanted to make a side by side comparison as I am down to my last 4 bottles from last years batch. The recipe posted is spot on. The only differences I noted was that Founders was a touch fresher. The coffee stood out a touch more, the body was fuller from the oats. I attribute this to freshness as my clone was a year old. But I do recall after only a few months old, this was pretty much exact to the commercial version

Old 10-14-2012, 01:44 PM   #457
Winters49441
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Brewed this yesterday and my OG is 1.092. 2 oz. Of ground coffee in boil should be interesting. There was a lot of 15 minute additions. And I almost forgot cacco nibs. Looking forward to end results.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #458
zeprock2
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know that there is a huge debate whether to use a secondary or not, but I was wondering if anyone has made this recipe with just a primary. Also if only a primary was used, how long did you leave the brew in there? I wasn't sure if a secondary was needed because of all the chocolate and coffee left at the bottom of the primary.

I always have used secondary's in the past, but I'm just trying to save a step.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #459
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeprock2 View Post
I know that there is a huge debate whether to use a secondary or not, but I was wondering if anyone has made this recipe with just a primary. Also if only a primary was used, how long did you leave the brew in there? I wasn't sure if a secondary was needed because of all the chocolate and coffee left at the bottom of the primary.

I always have used secondary's in the past, but I'm just trying to save a step.
I think it's needed with this beer. SO MUCH CRAP in the primary.

I racked good and still had a ton of stuff fall out in secondary, especially if you used powder chocolate.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #460
ShaKeyJ
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I always use secondary myself, for clarity in lighter colored beer and to help clear out some of the thicker stuff in brew with so many adjuncts. I think I read somewhere it's recommended with higher gravity beer like this also.