Clone Beer Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone - Page 43 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Clone Beer Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 02:28 AM   #421
FATC1TY
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,615
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Winters49441 View Post
Bought the grains for this recipe today! Brewing this one soon! Even though I only live 40 minutes from Founders. Breakfast Stout seems thin to me this year. Anyone else had this years vintage.

It is thinner this year.. A drop off for sure from the norm. I wonder if it's them cutting corners because they've turned out to be so big in the last years..

Makes me worried about KBS this year for sure.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:39 AM   #422
Winters49441
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Muskegon, Michigan
Posts: 156
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY

It is thinner this year.. A drop off for sure from the norm. I wonder if it's them cutting corners because they've turned out to be so big in the last years..

Makes me worried about KBS this year for sure.
KBS is overrated like TF Dark Lord. My opinion only. Others will disagree.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #423
JordanThomas
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 888
Liked 84 Times on 77 Posts


I go to founders regularly. This year's breakfast stout is exactly the same as last year's at the same time of year. In a few months it will be at its sweet spot.

I wouldn't say KBS is overrated... Absolutely delicious. Just had one yesterday, and it just makes me smile. I would consider it in the top 3 stouts that I've ever had. Yum.

paulquinn Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #424
FATC1TY
Recipes 
 
May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Posts: 1,615
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Winters49441 View Post
KBS is overrated like TF Dark Lord. My opinion only. Others will disagree.
I'll disagree, but understand people have different tastes so it's okay.. It doesn't have to be rated to taste good in some cases. I enjoy KBS very much so. I think it's one of the best BBA stouts.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:08 AM   #425
Winters49441
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Muskegon, Michigan
Posts: 156
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Hopping Frog Boris the crusher and Bourbon County Stout blow both of KBS & BS out of the water. Don't get me wrong, I love Breakfast Stout. That's why I'll be brewing this one this coming weekend.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #426
sivdrinks
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Lebanon, PA, PA
Posts: 809
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Winters49441
Hopping Frog Boris the crusher and Bourbon County Stout blow both of KBS & BS out of the water. Don't get me wrong, I love Breakfast Stout. That's why I'll be brewing this one this coming weekend.
C'mon man. That would make KBS and BS about a 6 outta 10 then, considering you haven't said where Kate the Great would rate either.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:08 PM   #427
zeprock2
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Edgewater Park, NJ
Posts: 91
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


I brewed the all grain version of this recipe on Saturday. I was thinking about cold pressing flavored coffee for my secondary. Does that present any issues since the coffee beans are flavored with oil? Should I just stick with a basic kona instead?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #428
JordanThomas
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 888
Liked 84 Times on 77 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by zeprock2 View Post
I brewed the all grain version of this recipe on Saturday. I was thinking about cold pressing flavored coffee for my secondary. Does that present any issues since the coffee beans are flavored with oil? Should I just stick with a basic kona instead?
Flavored coffee? I would go with Kona. I just bottled this last night, and it is REMARKABLY close to the real thing in both taste and armoa.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #429
zeprock2
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Edgewater Park, NJ
Posts: 91
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
Flavored coffee? I would go with Kona. I just bottled this last night, and it is REMARKABLY close to the real thing in both taste and armoa.
Ya, I saw vanilla coffee and a creme brulee flavored coffee. I was seeing if anyone had used anything like this. I have heard rumors that the oils may mess with the head of the beer.. I'll just play it save and get kona or something like that.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #430
JordanThomas
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 888
Liked 84 Times on 77 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by zeprock2 View Post
Ya, I saw vanilla coffee and a creme brulee flavored coffee. I was seeing if anyone had used anything like this. I have heard rumors that the oils may mess with the head of the beer.. I'll just play it save and get kona or something like that.
Well the oils from the chocolate will kill the head on this beer. FBS doesn't produce much head at all. That's just the way the beer actually is. On tap, in a bottle, doesn't matter.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very Low Efficiency for a Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone UncleRusty All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 12-21-2015 01:22 PM
Help: Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone (Zymurgy 2010) JohnB311 Recipes/Ingredients 2 08-02-2011 03:13 PM
founder breakfast stout clone duckmanco Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 11-13-2010 05:26 AM
Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone Kit? Butcher Extract Brewing 1 08-17-2010 11:34 PM
Founder's Breakfast Stout clone? ace3 Recipes/Ingredients 6 01-19-2009 03:51 PM


Forum Jump