Clone Beer Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone - Page 40 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Clone Beer Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #391
jageraholic
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Pittsfield, MA
Posts: 55
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Mine had zero foam going in as well. First time for me.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #392
zeprock2
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Edgewater Park, NJ
Posts: 90
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Has anyone put this recipe into Beer Calculus? I did to see how much water to use and it is saying that with the grain bill it will come in 1.107 OG(vs the 1.086 in the recipe). This is my first all grain attempt so I dont want to screw anything up. Any reason why it would show such a high OG? Also it is saying 6.7gal of water for the mash. Anyone have any issues fitting all the grain and water into a 10 gal rubbermaid cooler mash tun?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:17 PM   #393
JordanThomas
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 888
Liked 84 Times on 77 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by zeprock2 View Post
Has anyone put this recipe into Beer Calculus? I did to see how much water to use and it is saying that with the grain bill it will come in 1.107 OG(vs the 1.086 in the recipe). This is my first all grain attempt so I dont want to screw anything up. Any reason why it would show such a high OG? Also it is saying 6.7gal of water for the mash. Anyone have any issues fitting all the grain and water into a 10 gal rubbermaid cooler mash tun?
I didn't have any trouble in my 10 gallon cooler, but it WAS funny to do BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde after, because it was about HALF full in comparison. The Breakfast Stout definitely gets close to maxing it out. You should be good though!

Regarding beer calculus, that sounds weird that it would come out at 1.107. Is that with efficiency calculation? Seems like that might be 100% efficiency gravity. Check that I suppose.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #394
Projectfdw
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Florence, Nj
Posts: 32
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


Looking to make an extract version of this on Friday. I know tons of advice has been given but I had some specific questions and was hoping to get input from others who have made it, maybe even multiple times. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Does coffee style really matter for primary addition. I love the smell of a vanilla creme brule and was going to use that. What type of affect would not using Sumatran mean to the beer?

2. Should I use less than the 2oz recommended? Alot of people have said that 2oz leads to a very bitter taste. Would 1 or 1.5 oz impart any flavor?

3. Should I use 2 packs of 11g s-04 or will one suffice.

4. Thinking about doing some bourbon soaked oak chips. Was thinking of soaking 2oz in 5oz of bourbon. Should I add the bourbon as well as the chips to secondary.

5. If I do the bourbon would it be prudent to skip the coffee addition to secondary.

6. If I do the coffee in secondary and don't have access to a cold press how should I put it in?

7. How long is too long for oak chips and/or coffee grounds in the secondary?

I know I've asked a bunch but any help would be invaluable.

Gerard

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #395
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Posts: 4,963
Liked 904 Times on 660 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectfdw View Post
Looking to make an extract version of this on Friday. I know tons of advice has been given but I had some specific questions and was hoping to get input from others who have made it, maybe even multiple times. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Does coffee style really matter for primary addition. I love the smell of a vanilla creme brule and was going to use that. What type of affect would not using Sumatran mean to the beer?

2. Should I use less than the 2oz recommended? Alot of people have said that 2oz leads to a very bitter taste. Would 1 or 1.5 oz impart any flavor?

3. Should I use 2 packs of 11g s-04 or will one suffice.

4. Thinking about doing some bourbon soaked oak chips. Was thinking of soaking 2oz in 5oz of bourbon. Should I add the bourbon as well as the chips to secondary.

5. If I do the bourbon would it be prudent to skip the coffee addition to secondary.

6. If I do the coffee in secondary and don't have access to a cold press how should I put it in?

7. How long is too long for oak chips and/or coffee grounds in the secondary?

I know I've asked a bunch but any help would be invaluable.

Gerard
1. not really, no. use whatever coffee you like, and one that will work with the oatmeal, chocolate and dark malts.
2. yes, the lower amount will impart flavor - just less of it. i'd go with 1.5. i went with the full amount and haven't noticed too much bitterness.
3. what does mrmalty tell you? i suspect that it'll be closer to 2 packs, but check with the pitching calculator first.
4. i added the bourbon too and i think it tastes great, although 5 oz is on the high side. maybe only add 2/3 or 3/4 of it?
5. entirely up to you. coffee + bourbon is a good combo to my palette, but maybe you want to highlight the bourbon more. if so, skip or cut back on coffee in secondary.
6. "cold pressed coffee" doesn't require any special equipment. it's just coffee that has been left to soak in cold (or room temp) water. after a few days, filter out the spent coffee grounds and pitch only the liquid, which will now be dark and contain all the coffee aroma and taste.
7. i've never used oak so no idea. i don't add coffee grounds to secondary, instead i used the cold steeping method (see #6). no grounds make it into secondary.
__________________
.
What hops should I grow? Looking for cheap honey?

Drinking: Mandarina IPA, Ardennes BDSA, apricot golden sour
Carbing: Citra DIPA, 3724 saison, 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
Aging: sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #396
zeprock2
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Edgewater Park, NJ
Posts: 90
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Thanks for the info. Hopefully I wont run into any space issues.
I checked my efficiency in Beer Calculus and it is set to 75%, so I dont know what I am doing wrong....Oh well.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #397
zeprock2
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Edgewater Park, NJ
Posts: 90
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
I didn't have any trouble in my 10 gallon cooler, but it WAS funny to do BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde after, because it was about HALF full in comparison. The Breakfast Stout definitely gets close to maxing it out. You should be good though!

Regarding beer calculus, that sounds weird that it would come out at 1.107. Is that with efficiency calculation? Seems like that might be 100% efficiency gravity. Check that I suppose.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I wont run into any space issues.
I checked my efficiency in Beer Calculus and it is set to 75%, so I dont know what I am doing wrong....Oh well.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #398
pabloj13
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Durham, NC
Posts: 1,553
Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by zeprock2 View Post
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I wont run into any space issues.
I checked my efficiency in Beer Calculus and it is set to 75%, so I dont know what I am doing wrong....Oh well.
Do you have one of the grains in lbs instead of ounces?
__________________

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout


Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #399
zeprock2
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Edgewater Park, NJ
Posts: 90
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
Do you have one of the grains in lbs instead of ounces?
I double checked and it looks like I have the measurements right. Comes in around 20LB 2oz of grain.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #400
JordanThomas
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Posts: 888
Liked 84 Times on 77 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by zeprock2 View Post
I double checked and it looks like I have the measurements right. Comes in around 20LB 2oz of grain.
Post your recipe from beer calculus here if you can.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very Low Efficiency for a Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone UncleRusty All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 12-21-2015 01:22 PM
Help: Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone (Zymurgy 2010) JohnB311 Recipes/Ingredients 2 08-02-2011 03:13 PM
founder breakfast stout clone duckmanco Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 11-13-2010 05:26 AM
Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone Kit? Butcher Extract Brewing 1 08-17-2010 11:34 PM
Founder's Breakfast Stout clone? ace3 Recipes/Ingredients 6 01-19-2009 03:51 PM


Forum Jump