Clone Beer Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone - Page 36 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Specialty, Fruit, Historical, Other Homebrew Recipes > Clone Beer Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 09-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #351
FATC1TY
Recipes 

May 2012
Atlanta Area, GA
Liked 140 Times on 114 Posts

If the coffee is to taste, pull it and condition it in bottles or kegs.

I put mine on cocoa nibs, coffee and bourbon barrel chips, all soaked in bourbon. Once the flavor was where I wanted it, or thought I wanted it, I pulled it and kegged it.

I tossed mine directly in the keg and chilled it. It's been in there for a little while. A little over a month at 36*. It's just now starting to mellow and taste pretty good. Coffee was out of it's mind strong and upfront. Chocolate now is starting to take the lead, and the bourbon and oak is softening around the edges a bit.

I'm tempted to pull it out of the keezer and let it sit for another month at room temp to speed up the aging process, and to make room in the keezer for other kegs I can drink faster. This big guy is just taking up space waiting to mellow.

However, I will say, that it does taste good now, and has a helluva head to when I pour it. Smells great, and it's gonna be good around the holidays for sure.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:55 PM   #352
pabloj13
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Durham, NC
Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish13 View Post
I'm thinking of brewing this beer, but I have a few questions before I fully decide. I hope someone or even a few folks can help.

1> How long should this recipe condition/age before bottling?

2> I see this recipe calls for 2 packs of S-04. Are both packs added at the same time or split up??

I've never brewed a big beer like this before and need to get my feet wet. Thanks to any and all that answer my questions. It's much appreciated.
1> I am planning on going at least 6 months. Probably longer.

2> Add them at the same time at the beginning.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 AM   #353
Irish13
Recipes 

Jan 2012
Vancouver, WA, Washington
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

^^^^

Thanks! I thought this stout would take about 6 to 8 months but wasn't sure.

But the best ships, are friendships,
and may they always be.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #354
Cgreen042389
Recipes 

Jun 2011
Atlanta, Ga
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I am planning on doing this this weekend, but instead of brewed coffee I plan on soaking some whole beans in a really peaty scotch to try and pull a touch of wood into the mix. Can't wait, looks delicious.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:31 PM   #355
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Liked 84 Times on 77 Posts

Brewed this weekend. Ended up at 1.089. Not complaining.

Checked today and the airlock was bubbling like a champ.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:16 PM   #356
jawilson20
Recipes 

Mar 2011
atlanta, ga
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Brewed it this weekend. Super aggressive fermenation with surprisingly little krausen.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #357
JordanThomas
Recipes 

Jul 2012
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Liked 84 Times on 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawilson20 View Post
Brewed it this weekend. Super aggressive fermenation with surprisingly little krausen.
All those oils from the chocolate will kill the krausen, which is exactly why I used a bucket for this one. So, nothing to worry about there!

Old 09-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #358
jawilson20
Recipes 

Mar 2011
atlanta, ga
Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
All those oils from the chocolate will kill the krausen, which is exactly why I used a bucket for this one. So, nothing to worry about there!
Yeah that is the gist of what I got after reading the thread.

Now for a question on aging, I really would like to have this guy drinkable by mid November. Reading the comments it sounds like the coffee needs sometime to mellow out. What do you think of skipping the second coffee addtion?

Old 09-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #359
barhoc11
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Rochester Hills, MI
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Dumb Question - How do you 'cold brew' this coffee and how do you keep it sanitized before adding it to the secondary?

Everything I read on this was to combine the grounds and water and let it sit at room temperature for 8 - 24 hours then strain but this just seems like a recipe for infection.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:37 PM   #360
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jul 2011
Towaco, NJ
Liked 48 Times on 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barhoc11 View Post
Dumb Question - How do you 'cold brew' this coffee and how do you keep it sanitized before adding it to the secondary?

Everything I read on this was to combine the grounds and water and let it sit at room temperature for 8 - 24 hours then strain but this just seems like a recipe for infection.
There's actually a couple ways but one of the best I have heard is done with a French Press. Grind the proper amount of coffee and fill the press with the proper amount of water, fit the press as usual and toss in the fridge for 24 hours. After the 24hr period press and pour the coffee. There's someone at my work place that does this every day.

I'd suggest santizing the press and plunger along with boiling the water you're planning to use.