Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Stout > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Old 07-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #301
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 585 Posts
Likes Given: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Anyone have an suggestions on chips and bourbon?

I have around 2 or 2.5oz of chips from a bourbon barrel, that have been soaking in bourbon for 2 weeks now. I think I have around 4oz of bourbon in there. Dump it all? Add more? Less?
2.5 oz of chips and 4 oz of bourbon won't be too much in a 5 gal batch. other have added a cup of bourbon or more. you're good to go.

Drinking: Trois IPA (amarillo/galaxy/simcoe), imperial chocolate stout, dubbel
Carb'ing: Tripel'ish, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34
Aging: TYB saison brett blend, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn

Old 07-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #302
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Thanks for the reply. I've taken a hydro sample tonight after a bit over a week of fermentation. Looks like it's nearing the end, or is pretty much done doing the big work.

1.020 gravity already. Pulled a sample and Oh. My. God. it smelled amazing. If I didn't have to dig into a chest freezer in a 90* garage, I would have drank the whole 5.5 gallons on the spot. I have around a good 2.5 or 3 inches of trub on the bottom of the carboy. Man it looks crazy, and I strained this damn thing of all the large chunks and hop garbage!

Mixed my sample with a bit of vanilla, and and bourbon to just... maybe see what it would profile as. I liked the overall flavor, and I know it's not carbed any, and I know my measuring of the bourbon was just a tiny dribble for a whole sample worth, but I don't want the harsh bite of the bourbon, but just the mid level profile on the palette, not up front.

I'm gonna drop the whole 4 oz in there with the chips and see.. Worst case, I can add bourbon and taste it in a few days, rather than try to take it out!! LOL

EDIT:

Also, what is everyones take on adding cocoa nibs AND the coffee beans to the secondary? I'm gonna rack it over on some beans that I'm gonna slightly crush, but probably just split down the middle with a knife, and toss in there with some nibs to impart a bit more chocolate with the coffee. Right now the coffee flavor is upfront, but it's really, really balanced with the chocolate, more than I expected.

My secondary will be a mess when I'm done. Coffee beans, cocoa nibs, and wood chips.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #303
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Mine is chugging away on day two. Anyone else not get much Krausen? I just have some skummy bubbles, for the record I'm finding dry yeast never Krausen's like liquid for me.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #304
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks View Post
Mine is chugging away on day two. Anyone else not get much Krausen? I just have some skummy bubbles, for the record I'm finding dry yeast never Krausen's like liquid for me.
yup. i started off with a very thin krausen. it was mostly really large bubbles - see pix below taken on day 2 i believe, the breakfast stout is on the left in the group shot. second shot is a close-up lit with a flashlight. after primary fermentation was over, a thick mousse-like foam developed on the surface. it wasn't krausen per se, more like fine floating left-over chocolate sludge. i mentioned it 2 pages ago and Dubbel Dachs confirmed that this "mousse" is typical (top of previous page).
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120529_004206 - Copy-MED.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	67825   Click image for larger version

Name:	20120529_004534 - Copy-MED.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	67826  

Carb'ing: Tripel'ish, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34
Aging: TYB saison brett blend, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn
digitalMessiah Likes This 
Old 07-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #305
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks man, exactly what mine looks like.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #306
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks View Post
Thanks man, exactly what mine looks like.
Yup..... Delicious!!!

Old 07-11-2012, 01:27 AM   #307
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I got maybe 1in or 1 1/2in of krausen rise up when mine fermented with 1056. Mostly some low lying thick bubbly film for the most part. I'm not getting the "mousse" on it yet, or it's passed. Kept my temps pretty low. It's got a MASSIVE cake it's sitting on though. Might be glad I did 5.5 gallons, as it's unreal thick.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:22 PM   #308
sivdrinks
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Took a sample today, one week, I'm sitting at 1.030. Is it too early to be disappointed? Its bubling every 30 seconds or so. It tasted awesome but I was hoping to go closer to 1.020. Started at 1.083, used two packs of S05.

Old 07-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #309
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivdrinks
Took a sample today, one week, I'm sitting at 1.030. Is it too early to be disappointed? Its bubling every 30 seconds or so. It tasted awesome but I was hoping to go closer to 1.020. Started at 1.083, used two packs of S05.
I'd let it sit there for 3 weeks them check it.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:30 AM   #310
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

if it's still bubbling, there is a solid chance (but not a guarantee!) that there is still fermentation going on in there. 1.083 is unlikely to be done in a week, you should definitely give it another week, if not longer.

however, you're not too far off the mark. did you use all-grain or extract? if extract, you might not get a whole lot lower. remember that the OP ended up at 1.023, i myself am at about 1.026. 1.020 might be a tough goal to reach - and one that you might not want to reach anyways. this beer has a lot of acidic/astringent ingredients. you want some residual sweetness, otherwise you'll end up with pucker-juice.