I brewed a batch of this 6 months ago as my first all grain batch. I knew it was not a simple beer to make, i just really wanted something interesting to show for my work.
Now, 6 months later I've tasted the fruits of my labor and it's awesome! I put 1L of maple syrup into my primary partly for flavoring, and partly because i had horrible efficiency so i figured a little extra sugar wouldn't hurt things... I did some math, and after the syrup, my OG would be 1.072. It wasn't enough to taste any maple at all, but you do get a hint of the aroma when you open the bottle.
Yesterday i did another batch. 6 months of learning has gone a long long way because my OG was 1.111
! That was with a little more than the expected boil off, but it was maybe 1L out. according to the efficiency calculator that google found for me and my other measurements (pre-boil gravity and volume) my efficiency was 86%.
For reference for everyone else making this, what i did was a mash thickness of 1.4-1.3 qt per pound at 158F for 60 mins. I mashed out with boiling water to get it to 170 with as little volume increase as possible. sat 10 mins. then i drained.
I batch sparged with 170 degree water without stirring after the infusions. I did 3 infusions, and collected 26L total.
For my tastes the hop character could be a bit stronger, especially since i'm going to age this new batch for quite a while. This is my new hop schedule:
.6 oz Nugget (Pellets, 13.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
.2 oz Nugget (Pellets, 13.00 %AA) boiled 30 min.
.6 oz Fuggles (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 30 min. Mt. Hood is not available to me locally here
2.5 oz Dark bittersweet baker's chocolate at 15 mins.
1.5 oz Unsweetened chocolate baking nibs at 15 mins.
.6 oz Fuggles (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 2 min. Mt. Hood is not available to me locally here
2 oz Ground Sumatran coffee at flameout
2 oz Ground Kona coffee cold brewed, added at bottling
Cooled with my counterflow wort chiller and put in a plastic primary. I siphoned from that at a high height into a different pail with a long freefall to aerate the heck out of it (twice), the yeast would be stressed as heck with that OG. and then i pitched onto a wyeast 1056 american ale yeast cake from a clone batch of moose drool.
In 4 hours there was 6 inches of krausen, and the yeast activity had brought the temprature up to 79f in my 65f basement.
I know that this beer has a hell of a reputation, and i feel a bit bad for screwing with a recipe that is respected as much as this one, but without the oak casks that the original is aged in, i figured i'd never have it exactly right anyways. I'll report back in 4 months when i open the first bottle. I know that's too soon, but Nov 10th is my birthday, and i'm giving myself a present.